Youtube Question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bojo 11 Jan 2022

I have seen a third party video on Youtube which would be useful to part illustrate a talk I'm giving later this year. It's about a minute long. However I need to get it into my own video editing program in order to incorporate it into a longer video I'm compiling.

Does anyone know if this can be done. Thanks.

sparrigan 11 Jan 2022
In reply to Bojo:

Use youtube-dl (https://github.com/ytdl-org/youtube-dl/)

Post edited at 17:44
OP Bojo 11 Jan 2022
In reply to sparrigan:

There is no means by which I can download into my video editing program

In reply to Bojo:

> There is no means by which I can download into my video editing program

No, but the link provided will allow you to download the YT video to your computer, and you can then import that downloaded file into your video editor...

It's a pretty fierce learning curve, though...

Post edited at 18:05
 JLS 11 Jan 2022
In reply to Bojo:

>"There is no means by which I can download into my video editing program"

My ipad can capture video being played on the screen. Works for Youtube but not things like BBC Iplayer.  I expect an iphone will do to. At only a minute long the file size should be manageable, so you should be able to air drop it from the iphone to elsewhere.

The controls to record like this are a bit hidden in the ipad/phone settings so may take some digging.

Jack 11 Jan 2022
In reply to Bojo:

Are you running Windows 10? If so, you may be able to use the 'game bar' to capture on screen video which you can then import into your video editing software. 

Hold down the Windows key and press g to open the game bar, if it's installed.

Post edited at 19:46
 jezb1 11 Jan 2022
In reply to Bojo:

Can’t you ask the video’s owner to send you the file?

In reply to sparrigan:

This.
Or invidious if you just want a 'download' button to click.
https://redirect.invidious.io/

ianstevens 11 Jan 2022
In reply to Bojo:

You might want to just take a hot minute to think about copyright…

mk one 11 Jan 2022
In reply to Bojo:

Yep, just ask them.

If you must just take it, then youtube-dl like above is one of the best.

OP Bojo 11 Jan 2022

In reply to All:

Jack's suggestion works and seems to be the simplest solution

lithos 12 Jan 2022
In reply to Bojo:

used to be able to do it with things like keepvid.com but a quick glance at their site seems like it may not be possible anymore.  googling 'youtube downloaders' might help with something like

https://myconverters.com/en/youtube-downloader/

remember to follow copyright and fair use

OP Bojo 17 Jan 2022

A couple of you (understandably) reminded me of the copyright issues relating to my OP. I tracked down the producers of the video and this was their comment:

"Good morning Sir, as you can find the videos on YouTube, they aren't protected, you can use them for your presentation, best regards, Claudine"

ianstevens 17 Jan 2022
In reply to Bojo:

> A couple of you (understandably) reminded me of the copyright issues relating to my OP. I tracked down the producers of the video and this was their comment:

> "Good morning Sir, as you can find the videos on YouTube, they aren't protected, you can use them for your presentation, best regards, Claudine"

That's wrong, the original creator still has copyright of the video (I think under Creative Commons terms, but I'm not certain). Anyway, seems permission for reuse is implied. 

Toerag 17 Jan 2022
In reply to Bojo:

download helper plugin on Firefox works for me in most situations.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...