Your scariest ramble experience?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

For me personally,

I was once walking around Youlgreave with someone when a massive bull decided it wanted out of it's field so decided to just walk through a dry stone wall from it's field and to try and come say hello.

I was very much of the mind ,  Oh Fu@k lets get over that cattle grid quickly.   They make me nervous being a about a tonne of muscle and with great big pointy horns.

:-D

tjdodd 06 Sep 2019
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

I'm sure he only wanted a friendly cuddle.

In reply to tjdodd:

> I'm sure he only wanted a friendly cuddle.

I had premonitions of the scene from "Withnail and I"

and I hadn't a large roll of cellophane with which to wrap my leg .

Queenie 06 Sep 2019

Another bovine one.

Taking my collieX through a load of fields in Wiltshire, for an explore. She was off-lead and obedient, staying close-by. Suddenly, I became aware of the sound of a stampede. Glancing around wildly, I caught sight of a bunch of friesians hoofing it directly towards us, in an excitable state.                                            I ran towards the gate, heart sinking upon realising it was too far away to reach in time. But Lo! That conveniently pitched tent might take me out of their eye-line? Heart in mouth, I slipped out of view, around the other side. This ploy did work, but not in the way expected. As they slowed, sniffing, snorting and stomping all over it, my dog and I slipped gratefully away to the gate. 

I guessed it was unoccupied, due to the lack of screams and newspaper headlines next day.

wercat 06 Sep 2019

Probably at school.  Skiving off games as a sixth former I'd walk out through the school gates and walk up to 12-14 miles looking at the local countryside and churches etc.  During the winter months my favourite walk would bring me back in the dark.  I took a detour through a huge field one frosty evening, as the moon rose.  

I heard as it were a sound like distant thunder growing in intensity which resolved into resounding galloping hooves and in the moonlight I found myself facing a large and apparently very dark horse snorting steam in the cold air.   Fortunately it proved more curious than fierce but its approach was one of the most scary experiences of my life up to that point.

McHeath 06 Sep 2019

Walking alone on the Argyll hills sometime in the Seventies, miles from anywhere, and getting overflown by a low flying jet fighter from behind. I didn't hear a thing until there was this instantaneous and massive explosion of sound in my whole body. Had to sit down for a while and couldn't stop shaking for ages.

Duncan Bourne 07 Sep 2019

Out on a long distance ramble down in Wiltshire late 70’s or early 80’s. It was coming on for evening when we came to a village as the sun was starting to set hoping to find a shop to get food. The whole place was deserted, no one in the streets, no cars driving through, we found a small shop but no one was in. It was creepy. We walked through the village without seeing a single soul. As we passed through and came to the outskirts of the village we saw a man standing on the far side of a field. He saw us and started walking towards us with purpose. It was then that we noticed he was carrying a rifle. Not wanting to find out his intentions we turned and legged it back the way we had come. He was the only person we saw the whole time. We put a good few miles between ourselves and the village before we bedded down for the night I can tell you.

brianjcooper 07 Sep 2019

I have a healthy respect for anything that weights more than I do.

Dave the Rave 07 Sep 2019

Many years ago I went for a walk in the local woods with my dog. Feeling a little peckish we stopped for a flask of tea and something to eat, a Tracker bar as I remember.

I had a slurp of tea with the dog watching the cereal bars every move

.A sixth sense alerted me to something watching me from behind a tree. I would glance over my shoulder then the thing would dart it’s head back. I did this several times when I became aware of more things doing the same.

The dog was barking by now and the things were freaking me out. I lidded my flask and threw the tracker bar. 

By 20 yards away it was covered in 10 squirrels!

Never trust a squirrel with a tracker bar!

Spike 08 Sep 2019

I think the farmer had his leg wrapped in "polythine" (sic)

Good image though!

Post edited at 09:09
 Timmd 08 Sep 2019
In reply to McHeath:

> Walking alone on the Argyll hills sometime in the Seventies, miles from anywhere, and getting overflown by a low flying jet fighter from behind. I didn't hear a thing until there was this instantaneous and massive explosion of sound in my whole body. Had to sit down for a while and couldn't stop shaking for ages.

I think scrambling up some rocks in Wales as a kid, and being freaked out by the sound of a Tornado jet flying past level with me might have momentarily been among my scariest (sc)rambling experiences. I'm wondering if the wall in the OP needed some upkeep doing on it, or if the waller hadn't done the flying kick test on it after finishing it, or something along those lines. I'm sure I was told that well built walls can withstand cows leaning and scratching against them and things.

Post edited at 22:51
 Pefa 08 Sep 2019
In reply to Timmd:

That happened to me as well while I was clinging on to a face 7 pitches up the Sheltersone Crag and it felt as if the sound wave moved me.

Worst ramble experience was late 80s going up Ben Macdui hoping to have a chat with Am Fear Liath Mòr but it was sunny and there were others around so it was out of nick for him. 

Post edited at 23:18
 wercat 09 Sep 2019
In reply to Timmd:

I thought I was going to enjoy being overflown by a very low F4 Phantom on the summit of the Cheviot.  I hadn't realized how the ripping tearing and deep rumble would feel inside my guts, a perception completely unexpected.   Feeling the sound in your abdomen is not pleasant at all.

Now, give me a Wessex or a Deltic preparing for lift-off and I'll be happier

Post edited at 08:26
In reply to Timmd:

> I think scrambling up some rocks in Wales as a kid, and being freaked out by the sound of a Tornado jet flying past level with me might have momentarily been among my scariest (sc)rambling experiences. I'm wondering if the wall in the OP needed some upkeep doing on it, or if the waller hadn't done the flying kick test on it after finishing it, or something along those lines. I'm sure I was told that well built walls can withstand cows leaning and scratching against them and things.

It probably wasn't in the best of condition or very high.

It was sort of comical in a way.   There was no way on earth that this wall was going to stop something of this size with escape on its mind .

Just walked through it with all the stones just glancing off its legs as it just strolled through.   

Timmd 09 Sep 2019

> It was sort of comical in a way.   There was no way on earth that this wall was going to stop something of this size with escape on its mind .

> Just walked through it with all the stones just glancing off its legs as it just strolled through.   

'I ain't got time for stopping in this field' - bull strides through the wall for pastures new. 

Post edited at 12:52
 Timmd 09 Sep 2019
In reply to wercat:

Apparently it caused irritation and hassles for the engineers when it was decided by UK government to put Rolls Royce engines in the Phantoms the RAF used, because the stresses on the airframe all had to be recalculated. Not in a difficult to do sense, but it seemed like a waste of time when they worked fine as developed already. The airframes had a short fatigue life too, relatively speaking. They were cool looking aircraft though.

Post edited at 13:20

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...