Xmas Day Vs Boxing Day Travel thru England M1 M25?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BruceM 10 Apr 2024

We're traveling down from Scotland to the French ports via M6 M1 M25 Dartford etc. around Christmas day-ish.

Generally are either of those days 25/26 Dec better for less chaotic traffic than each other, or than the other neighbouring days surrounding Christmas?

Cheers.

TechnoJim 10 Apr 2024
In reply to BruceM:

Can't help with the Dartford end, but last Christmas I drove from Milton Keynes to Sheffield on Christmas Day and then Sheffield to Inverness on Boxing Day and the roads were pretty quiet the whole time, including the South-bound carriageway.

Andypeak 10 Apr 2024
In reply to BruceM:

As a general rule roads are quiet on Christmas day.

mondite 10 Apr 2024
In reply to BruceM:

Boxing day could be dodgy around the Dartford area with the boxing day sales at bluewater/lakeside.

OP BruceM 10 Apr 2024
In reply to BruceM:

Thanks very much everyone. So far sounds like Christmas Day is a good one and Boxing Day a maybe also.

I was just concerned that maybe on Christmas Day loads of people would be driving around visiting all the obligatory family connections.

I guess the lack of commercial traffic on Christmas Day would far outweigh the relative-visiting crowd anyway.

flaneur 10 Apr 2024
In reply to BruceM:

I drove from the central belt to London on the afternoon and evening of Christmas Day a few years ago. It was uncannily quiet the whole way. I'd be amazed if Boxing Day wasn't busier: it's a big shopping and travelling day.  

OP BruceM 10 Apr 2024
In reply to flaneur:

Great thanks.  Christmas Day it is then.

Kimberley 10 Apr 2024
In reply to BruceM:

I have done that journey many times and never go via M1 and  Dartford, better to go M6, M40 M25, generally quieter

Although mostly go DFDS Newcastle to Amsterdam now, have a look !

Post edited at 20:43
In reply to BruceM:

Very few people opt to travel on Xmas Day. Relatively quiet. Boxing Day though is a big day for visiting ‘the folks’.

In reply to BruceM:

It's good to plan ahead! 

Bottom Clinger 10 Apr 2024
In reply to BruceM:

Generally, sport, shopping and visiting family mean Boxing Day has busier roads than Xmas day. BUT: need to factor in which day of the week Xmas day and Boxing day fall on, because this may or may not clash with normal work traffic.   Xmas Day on a Sunday means less traffic than say Xmas day on a Tuesday. It’s more complicated than folk think. And are the north london footie teams at home or away?  

Post edited at 22:35
OP BruceM 11 Apr 2024
In reply to BruceM:

Thanks everyone.  And yes, there are ferry options from closer to home, that might play a part in the future.

Booked now on Eurotunnel for late Christmas Day.  And slightly lower prices than Boxing day too!

Cheers.

Tom Guitarist 11 Apr 2024
In reply to BruceM:

Yeah I'd echo the above about a ferry from Newcastle or Hull in future.  We've just done it for the first time last month, slightly more expensive and far more pleasant than the hell that is driving to Dover!  I've travelled a lot over the Christmas period.... Christmas day, especially on major roads will be very quiet, boxing day is a very popular travel day.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...