Wild running

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 girlymonkey 27 Dec 2023

I have found the right use for the "wild" prefix! Anything which you step outside to do today is classed as wild, because it's blooming wild out there!! 

So I went for a wild run! And that's quite enough of outside for today!

If you do venture out, wear a weight belt, snorkel and mask, and something high viz so you can be found. Make sure the coast guard know where you are, even if you are normally far from the coast!

Tony Buckley 27 Dec 2023
In reply to girlymonkey:

I think on the approved scale of British weather, today is classed as 'fresh to disappointing'.

T.

OP girlymonkey 27 Dec 2023
In reply to Tony Buckley:

It might depend where you are in the country, Mid Argyll is definitely wild!

Tony Buckley 27 Dec 2023
In reply to girlymonkey:

Ok then, the revised forecast reads, 'fresh to disappointing, vexed in places'.

T.

Sealwife 27 Dec 2023
In reply to girlymonkey:

It’s mental in Orkney.  Sleet bucketing at about 70mph into the windows, leaks coming in normally watertight windows, outdoor xmas lights destroyed, several trees (such as the are) down.

Still got power for now, but it’s flickering.

ScraggyGoat 27 Dec 2023
In reply to Sealwife:

Surely if the power has stayed on, for Orkney it’s a non-event? Though Orkney do appear to have currently Force 9, and Force 10 offshore.

still not close to Shetlands Saxa Vord claim to fame;

Holding the unofficial British record for wind speed, which in 1992 was recorded at 197 mph (317 km/h) — just before the measuring equipment blew away

Sealwife 27 Dec 2023
In reply to ScraggyGoat:

We are pretty accustomed to truly minging weather but this is the worst I’ve seen in a good while.

McHeath 27 Dec 2023
In reply to Sealwife:

I´m very jealous of your location at the moment, but that´s easy to say because I´m sitting on a sofa in Berlin with central heating and no sight of a power cut on the horizon ...

Two little questions: what do seals do in a force 9/10 gale? And: do you take girlymonkey´s advice and wear a weight belt when kayaking?

Post edited at 15:15
 mike123 27 Dec 2023
In reply to Sealwife: this mornings shipping forecast for fair isle was violent storm 11 . It’s always going to be an entertaining day  when there’s an 11 in there  somewhere . 

OP girlymonkey 27 Dec 2023
In reply to Sealwife:

Wow, it does sound very mental! We have lots of flooding and the wind was wild earlier. A bit less now. I keep expecting to hear of landslides, but so far we seem to have got away with it. 

pasbury 27 Dec 2023
In reply to girlymonkey:

Yep today I went wild shopping for a gammon because the gannets ate the first one.

Wainers44 27 Dec 2023
In reply to girlymonkey:

Yup it was a bit wild on Dartmoor.  Around 8 miles of running....swimming, splattering, leaning sideways and squinting as the rain in the wind made it hard to see. Went out to the clapper on the Avon, then over Huntingdon Warren,  Ryders Hill, Pupers and Cross Furzes. Highlight was watching the water on the spillway of the Avon Dam getting blown vertically back up over the dam and dumped back into the reservoir!!

wintertree 27 Dec 2023
In reply to girlymonkey:

Today I did a wild unblocking of the driveway drain, and a wild collection of logs from the store.  I might do a wild taking out of the rubbish later, or I might save that for tomorrow.

The agricultural runoff is astounding - the puddles and lakes in the fields haven’t drained off a month and I think the entire fall today just ran off the surface.  The rise time on the local river gage was exceptional today.  This must be wreaking havoc on the winter planted crops.

Dax H 27 Dec 2023
In reply to girlymonkey:

I was on the phone earlier to a pal who lives in Falkirk, he described the weather as biblical. 

Hope it clears up because I'm heading up from Leeds to see him and his family tomorrow. 

Down here it's just wet, I was called out at 6am and the amount of flooded roads between Leeds and the site I was going to in York was insane. Unfortunately it was also raining inside my van. In the wind last week we lost a load of roof tiles from the house that landed on my van, turns out one of them broke a seal between 2 panels so it now rains in right above my head. 

Jenny C 27 Dec 2023
In reply to wintertree:

> ... I might do a wild taking out of the rubbish later, or I might save that for tomorrow.

I'm trying to decide if I should put the recycling bin out tonight, which probably means a street covered in soggy paper by morning. Or store up another months worth of paper and cardboard in the house, until it's next due to go out.

In reply to Jenny C:

> I'm trying to decide if I should put the recycling bin out tonight, which probably means a street covered in soggy paper by morning. Or store up another months worth of paper and cardboard in the house, until it's next due to go out.

Took the pooch out earlier during a break in the rain. Loads of folks' bins were too full leaving the gusts an easy opening for the lids. Some have slightly emptied, others have been blown over completely. Not a good sight.

abr1966 27 Dec 2023
In reply to girlymonkey:

I tried wild car washing earlier....had a bubbles blow back.....looks set for a windy night here in the western peak....I bet there are still people out tonight filming their new camping gadgets for their youtube channels!

Hooo 27 Dec 2023
In reply to girlymonkey:

Here in South Wales the weather is still within the boundaries of what is normally described as Welsh weather. Although it is definitely at least Very Welsh and probably close to Extremely Welsh.

Welsh Kate 27 Dec 2023
In reply to Hooo:

Agreed. I got slightly damp walking along half way down Queen Street earlier, having not bothered with an umbrella because well.. it's just Wales isn't it, and it's just a bit of rain...

deepsoup 27 Dec 2023
In reply to Welsh Kate:

> having not bothered with an umbrella

They're not actually that useful when the rain is horizontal.  Is it properly Welsh weather if you could successfully hang on to a brolly anyway?

Welsh Kate 27 Dec 2023
In reply to deepsoup:

Indeed, though Wild Para-Umbrellering is starting to take off (literally) as a new sport  here - the Garth and Pen y Fan are popular take-off spots.

Michael Hood 27 Dec 2023
In reply to McHeath:

> what do seals do in a force 9/10 gale?

If they're in the water I bet they'll hardly notice, they always look totally in control regardless of swell/wave size.

James Probert 28 Dec 2023
In reply to Michael Hood:

Have watched them below Bosigran in wild weather. They appear to thrive in white water

Wainers44 28 Dec 2023
In reply to Michael Hood:

> If they're in the water I bet they'll hardly notice, they always look totally in control regardless of swell/wave size.

Surfed with a seal at St Agnes once. Just him (her?) and me there. They effortlessly turned and carved inside the wave right beneath me, I tried to copy above and failed dismally.  As I sat on the board and waited for the set, they floated underneath me, nudging my feet, or popped up right in front of me to eye ball me. I think that was just to remind me that it was their wave not mine, even if I got to it first....!!

Rampart 28 Dec 2023
In reply to pasbury:

>  today I went wild shopping for a gammon because the gannets ate the first one

1st World Problems.

In reply to girlymonkey:

Pretty wild on the moors above Holmfirth today. More or less blown to a standstill a couple of times.

TechnoJim 28 Dec 2023
In reply to Sealwife:

I'm working on Shetland at the moment, it was absolutely crazy last night. Sleet and slow falling upwards. TV and phone went out for a few hours and the power kept dipping, I think the north end of mainland had a lot of outages. Genuinely thought the roof was coming off my hotel at one point. Was warned that our site might be closed due to the snow. 

Woke up this morning and it was totally calm, had to go to work and everything!

Edited to add, my landings at Kirkwall and Sumburgh yesterday morning were interesting to say the least. Loganair pilots are reassuringly good.

Post edited at 20:49
OP girlymonkey 28 Dec 2023
In reply to girlymonkey:

Well it sounds like "wild" was an understatement for many areas of the country yesterday! Sounds like Orkney and Shetland were insane and I heard on the news that Manchester had a hurricane 😱

I'm not sure what prefix you move onto with that, but I presume you aren't doing any of the things normally termed "wild" when there's a hurricane going on!

Bottom Clinger 29 Dec 2023
In reply to girlymonkey:

From the Manchester Evening News  

“Residents had to be evacuated and the council declared a 'major incident' following the event. The 'mini tornado' has since been categorised as a 'T5' - where wind speeds range from 137mph to 160mph - and is thought to be the strongest to hit the UK in 17 years.”

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...