What to do with old ropes?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 06 Jun 2021

Hello, I know some people use old ropes to make into mats and other items. Does anybody here do such a thing? Or know anybody who does?

I’ve been out of climbing for so long that I think it sensible to retire my ropes and slings. 

TIA!

Lankyman 06 Jun 2021
In reply to Removed UserOl’ Lardy Punter:

I used to cut them down to short lengths and use them for handlines underground or haul ropes when digging. Useful back in the day for towing the car too, although old caving rope was far less stretchy.

Offwidth 06 Jun 2021

This lot do good work...drop off bins in a few places I think.

https://madebyscavenger.com/

Edelrid give out instructions for how to make a doormat from your rope when it is knackered.

https://www.edelrid.de/en/sports/knowledge/ropemat.php

Ceiriog Chris 06 Jun 2021
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

Thanks for that Tom, know what I'm going to be doing tomorrow 

Removed User 06 Jun 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

I don’t know what half of that means to be honest but I don’t do much digging and I’ve got AA membership 😊😊

Removed User 06 Jun 2021
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

Thank you! This is a great idea!

Removed User 06 Jun 2021
In reply to Offwidth:

Thank you!

Removed User 06 Jun 2021

Hmmmph! No collection points in London for made by scavenger. Disappointing that The Castle haven’t got one. They are very very green.. 🤔🤔 

Philip 06 Jun 2021

Local scout group might find a use. I'm cutting mine into 2 m lengths for my cubs to have one each for practicing knots.

Blue Straggler 07 Jun 2021

Good for making long dog leads; the slight elasticity is nice for this too. I “made” a couple of 10 metre ones last year. “Made” meaning “choosing knots for the handle end and the collar attachment end” which is a subjective thing...being biased, I was pleased with what I came up with (nothing earth shattering!) 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...