Tesco mobile service

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dmatth 08 Jan 2024

Hello

Anybody use this service as their mobile provider.Whats is like, is it reliable

Thanks

Dave

aln 08 Jan 2024
In reply to dmatth:

No. I have PAYG and it's terrible. I've had constant problems with buying top ups then finding my phone has no credit. Or sending one text and apparently all the credit has been used. When I contact customer service they fix it, but it's a PITA. Mobile data never works, so no internet, and reception is generally poor, which is ridiculous as I live near the top of a tower block which is festooned with mobile masts. I'm ditching it this week. As I said, PAYG, a monthly contract may be different.

In reply to dmatth:

I use it and generally reception and internet are as reliable as expected; not particularly worse than other providers.

As Aln says, there can be issues where you try to renew (e.g. topping up with £10) but before you complete your phone has used some data at standard charge, (leaving you with credit of e.g. 9.70 so not enough for your £10 top-up). 

Cost-wise there are better options such as Giffgaff which share the same O2 network. 

Nik Jennings 08 Jan 2024
In reply to dmatth:

I’m on a sim only. Works well for me, no significant issues. I get home from home Euro and Isle of Man coverage which is important for me, but I’m guessing that’s probably not available with current offerings?

Tringa 08 Jan 2024
In reply to dmatth:

Me and Mrs Tringa have used Tesco mobile for years and it has been fine.

Mrs T who uses her phone more than me has one of their packages while I tend to do a PAYG top up of £10 or £20 when I need to.

Perhaps I have been lucky(but if so, I have been lucky for years) but neither I nor Mrs T have never had any problem with topping up.

We also have never had any problems with any reception whether in London, South Yorkshire, Anglesey or Gairloch.

Dave

Dave Todd 08 Jan 2024
In reply to dmatth:

All our family have been using them (sim only) for years without issue.  As you probably know, Tesco use the O2 network.  My kids (teenagers) are fairly heavy users and haven't complained about service issues.

HTH

AgentOrange76 08 Jan 2024
In reply to Dave Todd:

The wife switched to Tesco in the Summer. It uses the 02 network so is as reliable as any other network. Its as reliable as my EE service

SDM 08 Jan 2024
In reply to aln:

> reception is generally poor, which is ridiculous as I live near the top of a tower block which is festooned with mobile masts. 

That is about the worst location possible for urban mobile reception.

The antennas are very directional, and they provide almost no signal directly below them. If they did fire straight down, they would be subjecting you to unacceptable radiation levels. The signal is also unable to penetrate through the fairly thick concrete roofs of many tower blocks.

You will almost certainly be connecting to a different antenna, which is likely to be some distance away, which is why your reception is poor.

Robert Durran 08 Jan 2024
In reply to dmatth:

I use Tesco Mobile and have no complaints whatsoever and have recommended it without reservation to others. Best thing has been absolutely superb service at their places within supermarkets, always generous with time and help for a helpless technophobe such as myself; when I lost my phone, they set up a new one, transferring everything across for no charge - brilliant!

Jenny C 08 Jan 2024
In reply to dmatth:

Look at uSwitch, depending on what you're after there are good deals to be had and many of them are only month long contracts, so (if you can be bothered) you can move if their service is crap.

DaveHK 09 Jan 2024
In reply to dmatth:

I'm with tesco. Initially I was PAYG doing manual top ups and had a lot of problems with top ups not going through. I'm still PAYG but have a direct debit and have no issues. Not convinced its the best coverage in the Highlands but its adequate.

Michael Hood 09 Jan 2024
In reply to dmatth:

Reading this via Tesco network, we've both been on it for several years (cheap sim only contract), no issues.

DaveHK 09 Jan 2024
In reply to dmatth:

The free wifi in Tesco and Sainsbury's shops is handy at times too.

RX-78 09 Jan 2024
In reply to dmatth:

Using tesco's sim only as well, no real problems. Using it here in France and works better than my french sim.

Tringa 09 Jan 2024
In reply to Robert Durran:

> I use Tesco Mobile and have no complaints whatsoever and have recommended it without reservation to others. Best thing has been absolutely superb service at their places within supermarkets, always generous with time and help for a helpless technophobe such as myself; when I lost my phone, they set up a new one, transferring everything across for no charge - brilliant!

Agree. I have always had excellent service at their supermarkets.

Dave

David Myatt 09 Jan 2024
In reply to dmatth:

My wife and I have had contracts with them for more than a decade. I’d need a lot of persuading to switch to anyone else. Second thoughts…I wouldn’t switch.

David

Jon Greengrass 09 Jan 2024
In reply to dmatth:

Tesco uses the O2 network so its exactly the same as that in terms of network coverage and reliability.

Does your handset support Wifi calling? Our village only has 2G outdoor coverage and no coverage at all when indoors, but I just found out my kids, who are all on Tesco mobile can use WiFi calling via our EE broadband when at home.

aln 12 Jan 2024
In reply to SDM:

I didn't know that, thanks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...