telemark hero dies

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fruit 22 Oct 2018
In reply to paul mitchell:

Their story inspired us to ski across the Hardangervidda last winter.

having huts, modern kit and nobody trying to find and kill us gave us an insight into how incredibly tough they were.

They may be gone but are unlikely to be forgotten any time soon.

Trangia 22 Oct 2018

An amazing operation requiring outstanding guts. If the Germans had developed the A bomb. The war would have had a very different outcome.

Very brave men. Interesting how he didn't really appreciate just how important their mission had been until after Hiroshima in 1945

DerwentDiluted 22 Oct 2018

I was fortunate to spend sime time in Oslo with a friends grandfather who was in the LingeKompaniet Commando unit that carried out the Telemark raid, though he was not on that raid.  He escaped on the Shetland Bus and trained at Glenmore lodge.  Very brave and hardy men, all of them.

Post edited at 18:18
 Tim Sparrow 22 Oct 2018

I always referred to this story when teaching chemical isotopes at school. Every year, at least one pupil would have seen the film, which plays every few years on tv. However, the numbers predictably decreased until no one did.

However, no one had ever heard about telemark (or freeheel) skiing! I never bothered to explain the significance of the place to climbers.

Post edited at 19:15
 Padraig 22 Oct 2018

.I am currently reading " Skis against the atom" by Knut Haukelid.  

He was with Ronneberg. 

If you ever want to be inspired........

Fruit 22 Oct 2018
In reply to Padraig:

That was the book, given to me by my dad when I was about 12, that inspired our trip.  

DerwentDiluted 22 Oct 2018

Another good read of the Norwegian resistance is "Two Eggs on my Plate" by Olaf Reed Olsen.

John Ww 22 Oct 2018
In reply to Padraig:

Got it, read it (several times) love it.

Jim Hamilton 23 Oct 2018

Anyone know where in the gorge they got down/up (between which ice climbs?). He mentioned something about netting?  

Red Rover 24 Oct 2018
In reply to Jim Hamilton:

There's an info-board at the Vermok museum which gives the route they took. Sadly I didnt get a photo but you might find one online. I think it was about 1 k downstream of the bridge.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...