Tall small vans?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Luke90 03 Nov 2021

Trying to find a replacement for a high top/long wheelbase 2009 Transit Connect and struggling to find any modern-ish small vans that provide similar cargo space. I'm looking for something just long enough to sleep full length (i.e. about six foot from seats to rear doors), which is easy to find. But the unique aspect of the pre-2013 Connects that I'm struggling to find in anything more modern is height. The old Connects are great because you can have a storage shelf over the front seats and a rear bed with generous storage underneath and still enough room to sit comfortably on top. Can anything more modern replicate that? Or is the high top small van a thing of the past because it's too inefficient?

jbrom 03 Nov 2021
In reply to Luke90:

The Fiat Doblo is available in a high top in both cargo and people carrier variants. Not super common, but they are around.

Alternatively have you just tried getting shorter? That would also be appreciated by your climbing partners.

mik82 03 Nov 2021
In reply to Luke90:

I bought an old shape lwb connect for the same reasons. Do you need a modern van (for emissions reasons etc) or can you look for 2012-13 models in good condition?

I think the SWB low roof transit custom has a similar internal load height but it is significantly wider. 

balmybaldwin 03 Nov 2021
In reply to Luke90:

How about getting a standard height and doing a pop-top conversion?

VW Crafter too long?

Or a transit: https://www.carbase.co.uk/vanbase/used-vans/ford/transit-custom/2-0-ecoblue...

Problem is Van prices are through the roof due to demnd/supply

Tom Valentine 04 Nov 2021
In reply to jbrom:

Doblo also seems popular as a popemobile conversion.

OP Luke90 04 Nov 2021
In reply to jbrom:

Think this might be the lead I needed. Thanks! (More the first suggestion than the second.)

They do seem to be much rarer than the Connect but also available much newer.

OP Luke90 04 Nov 2021
In reply to mik82:

> I bought an old shape lwb connect for the same reasons.

Glad I'm not the only one that sees what a good shape they are.

> Do you need a modern van (for emissions reasons etc) or can you look for 2012-13 models in good condition?

No absolute need for a fully modern engine but spending substantial money for essentially the same thing I've got just 3 or 4 years newer is a bit hard to stomach. Definitely still an option though. Especially the way van prices are at the moment.

> I think the SWB low roof transit custom has a similar internal load height but it is significantly wider. 

Yeah, it's that step up to the next size class altogether that I'm trying to avoid.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...