SUP - hot aches?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BRILLBRUM 05 Jan 2024

Now I have no idea if these are hot aches or not - I just know it’s painful!

TLDR - paddle boarding for extended periods makes my feet ache summat rotten, akin to pins and needles/hot aches. Any advice/thoughts? 

Long version, have a 12 hour paddle boarding thing coming up in April, training going well except for feet, have tried barefoot (with wetsuit booties), Crocs, trainers, but after half an hour or so my feet begin to ache, not with the cold I hasten to add. Obvs moving foot position too. Laps on this race are approx 3km/45 mins open water with/against tide with an out and in run between laps so there’s the potential to be in relative agony for 15 mins out of every 45. Not had this pain running, climbing or road cycling so this is a new hurry experience for me.

LastBoyScout 05 Jan 2024
In reply to BRILLBRUM:

Are you doing something like screwing up your feet to try and grip the board more/absorb the motion of the water?

Maybe try something like surf wax for more traction, which may allow you to relax your feet more?

In reply to LastBoyScout:

> Are you doing something like screwing up your feet to try and grip the board more/absorb the motion of the water?

Yeah, that was my thought. I've had similar issues skiing, until I remembered to relax my feet.

I would imagine that a paddleboard moves a lot under your feet, and the OP may be trying to use their feet to keep the board level. In which case, learning to control the balance by motion of the body higher up from the feet...

Relax, and go with the motion...

Post edited at 20:57
 morpcat 05 Jan 2024
In reply to BRILLBRUM:

+1 to muscle fatigue from overgripping with the feet. Have had it paddleboarding, skiing, and when pretending to be a monkey

Whoopdeedoo 05 Jan 2024
In reply to BRILLBRUM:

Are you kneeling on and just squashing your feet?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...