Rugby Rotters Reprimanded

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Greenbanks 06 Nov 2019

Though football continues to turn a blind eye, its good to know that the rugby authorities are putting their house in order.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/50300756

Removed User 06 Nov 2019
In reply to Greenbanks:

Rangers got chucked out of the Scottish league for fiddling wages.

Is there a cap on footballers' wages? I didn't think there was.

Glyno 06 Nov 2019
In reply to Greenbanks:

Turning a blind eye to what?

OP Greenbanks 06 Nov 2019
In reply to Glyno:

The flimsily applied Financial Fair Play stuff from UEFA

wbo2 06 Nov 2019
In reply to Greenbanks:no rugby thread is complete without a pop at football - sporting little man syndrome?

OP Greenbanks 07 Nov 2019
In reply to wbo2:

Wrong call - I’m a footy man, through and through. Just hate the way that money has turned the game somewhat (jumpers for goalposts etc etc). A vain hope that something might be learned from rugby - that’s all

blurty 07 Nov 2019
In reply to Greenbanks:

In general I agree, and I particularly agree when it comes to the respect shown to referees by rugby players at youth level; for example all coaches and players call the ref 'Sir' or 'Mam' - sets a really good example for the youth of today I think.

In reply to Greenbanks:

> Wrong call - I’m a footy man, through and through. Just hate the way that money has turned the game somewhat (jumpers for goalposts etc etc).

Can't remember the name of the book I read, it was about the double winning Spurs team of Bill Nicholson - the 1950's? Anyway, even then there were moans about how "money was ruining the game". I'm not sure there has ever really been a golden age where money hasn't affected many sports. Any race, human or animal, has betting at it's source; matches, games or races are rigged for winners or losers. 

> A vain hope that something might be learned from rugby - that’s all

Isn't your example rather proving that maybe all isn't well there either? And hasn't rugby, from only a very shallow dip into the subject, got problems with steroid use, especially at amateur level?

OP Greenbanks 07 Nov 2019
In reply to Stuart (aka brt):

Yes - not an especially auspicious start to the professional era; such events as Deano and the Blood Scandal don't paint a positive picture of what happens when sport and cash collide on a grander scale than a bit of boot money.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...