Router location

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James Malloch 06 Jan 2024

We are getting full fibre installed on Monday and I’m trying to work out the best place to bring the cable in (we can have it either side of the house due to the locations of poles).

On the floor-plan i have put, location 2 is the “best”. Ample sockets, and the TV is there so we can hook that up directly with an ethernet.

However we currently have to use a Deco network at the moment due to signal issues. We have laptops in the two bedrooms upstairs (marked with blue circles) and the one between the chimney breasts always had signal issues (copper connection currently comes in at #1).

If we install the new router at #2 I’m wondering if the same issues will happen with the chimney breast.

It could go at #3 but it’s more of a pain there as there due to the room setup.

Is there a way to choose the optimal placement? I guess we could keep using Deco too, or maybe run an ethernet around the chimney and place it the other side of the chimney breast too…

Any thoughts are welcome!

Tony Buckley 06 Jan 2024
In reply to James Malloch:

I paid a third party to install a couple of cables round the outside of the house.  This gives full-fat fibre to the home office, where my wife works, and the NAS.  The router sits in the lounge where it's convenient for the TV and wireless networking.  

Strongly recommend this as a solution based on our experience.

T.

OP James Malloch 06 Jan 2024
In reply to Tony Buckley:

Do they tap into the external cable for that? Or with ethernets from the box openreach will install?

Could be a good option, especially when we get our attic conversion done…

Tony Buckley 06 Jan 2024

The cables got run through the wall to terminate in standard ethernet points.  Short cables run from those to ports on the router at one end and to devices at the other.

And it just works trouble-free, the way WiFi didn't always (and always choosing not to at the least convenient moment).

T.

OP James Malloch 08 Jan 2024

It turns out that even though our neighbours use one pole, we are assigned to the back one and therefore we need to have it in location 1.

It’s more work for the installer, so i trust him saying that we can’t just use the other…

He did say there isn’t really any reason why we shouldn’t get good signal where we work, so it may have been the slow internet causing the problems. 

We will see how it is once all installed, and add our Deco network back in if it isn’t working well. Though i do like the idea of running som

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...