Recent birds

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bottom Clinger 18 Dec 2023

Seen a few crackers yesterday. Started off with a hunchbacked kestrel perched in a lamp post, and a male Sparrowhawk with prey item, and this wa son the drive there!  A few Merlin out hunting, super fast.  Three brambling and usual winter thrushes, including good views of fieldfare eating haws. Thousands of pink footed geese, loads of them swans I always misspell, ducks galore. A beautiful red breasted goose, with the consensus being it’s a wild bird rather than an escapee’. Some up close snipe, flock after flock of golden plover, with their beautiful and slightly haunting call. Watched 7 marsh harriers in the sky at once. But the best of all was this hen harrier. It was relatively smal looking, and you can see some grey feathers starting to show - most likely a male in its second winter. And the eyepiece of my camera fell off.  

Rory Shaw 19 Dec 2023
In reply to Bottom Clinger

A good day out!

Where is your stomping ground?

In reply to Rory Shaw:

South side of Ribble estuary = Marsh Side through to Hesketh Out Marsh (RSPB reserves), and then Martin Mere (WWT).Saw 6 raptors which didn’t include peregrine, first time I’ve not seen one in a long time.  

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...