Re-glueing van door seals

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Can anyone recommend a glue for this? Also any tips as I'm a bit worried I'm going to c%$k it up!! 

marsbar 08 Oct 2019
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

I might be wrong but I think door seals usually just fit onto the metal and join with a bit of metal where the ends join.  I don't think glue is used.  If it's badly degraded just get some new door seal strip and put it on. 

marsbar 08 Oct 2019

Video here.  Similar for other vans. 

youtube.com/watch?v=CZz6IG3i6rA&

Edit I forgot the link!  

Post edited at 20:24
In reply to marsbar:

Mine are fixed on with glue and are all starting to peel off, leak and hang off when the doors are opened  

marsbar 08 Oct 2019

I'm not an expert but I think it might be best to peel it all off and replace it.  Can you link to a picture? 

Does anyone know if glue is used normally? 

Pistonheads forum might be worth a try if you don't get an answer here? 

Post edited at 20:34
In reply to marsbar:

The seals are just stuck to the body of the van, there's no lip to push them onto, just an indent where they were glued on. I can't take a picture now but if you imagine the seals of the door just hanging off in the middle of the doorway because they have unpeeled that's what they look like. 

The Norris 08 Oct 2019

Probably not the best way, but ours fell off during a 3 month trip in Europe. I ended up using some super glue, it worked a treat. 

Dax H 08 Oct 2019

I have never tried it but I would most likely try stick it back with silicone sealent. 

Removed User 08 Oct 2019
In reply to The Norris:

Don't put the join at the bottom as in the video it needs to be at the top away from your feet. 

raincloud 08 Oct 2019

3M double sided tape or similar

jkarran 09 Oct 2019

Whatever you use you'll have to clean the old adhesive off the van/seal and any silicone/wax too. After that a quality double sided tape should do the trick, we use something branded Tesa here at work, solidly sticks pretty much anything so long as it's clean.

jk

Post edited at 09:54
 Sharp 09 Oct 2019

A PU adhesive will be better than silicone or superglue, I would use something like tigerseal or sikaflex because I usually have a tube of it open. If your seals are old then replace them as the PU adhesive will outlive them and it's a bugger to get off! I think the correct stuff is called weatherstrip adhesive but I have never used it.

This is a good place if you need to replace them - www.sealsdirect.co.uk. They sell adhesive as well so will probably be able to advise you on the best type.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...