Out of date driving licence

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JimR 18 Oct 2023

Happened to look at my driving licence and noticed it was several months out of date, have rapidly renewed online but govt website states reminders are sent before expiry but I can categorically state that no such reminder has been received. Anybody else had a similar experience?

Pedro50 18 Oct 2023
In reply to JimR:

Last year I noticed mine was out of date, no reminder as far as I knew. Renewed and got a replacement with no penalty or aggro.

jkarran 18 Oct 2023
In reply to Pedro50:

My wife just found hers was quite out of date. She's super organised and doesn't defer dealing with admin stuff so I'd be pretty safe assuming no reminder was sent.

Mine was years out of date last time it happened to me! Oops.

jk

grump gnome 18 Oct 2023
In reply to JimR:

I found out mine was out of date when I went to hire a van. Definately didn't get a reminder, or a van that day!

MG 18 Oct 2023
In reply to JimR:

Is your address correct on the DVLA records?

In reply to JimR:

Money Saving Expert are saying more than two million licences are out of date (Oct 23) so seems there must be something going wrong. https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/renew-driving-licence/

OP JimR 18 Oct 2023
In reply to MG:

> Is your address correct on the DVLA records?

It is!

Andypeak 18 Oct 2023
In reply to JimR:

I've never had a reminder 

In reply to JimR:

Is the DVLA still run by Crapita? If so, that's your answer...

nathan79 18 Oct 2023
In reply to JimR:

Not driving license but road tax. I didn't get a letter for this year's renewal. Updating my license address was one of the first things I did when I moved house last year, but no letter to old or current address.

Neil Williams 18 Oct 2023
In reply to JimR:

Not aware of any reminders.

sdpwilliams 18 Oct 2023
In reply to JimR:

I got a reminder earlier this year.

In reply to jkarran:

When I returned to Britain in 2010, I drove around on my 1968 license, blissfully ignorant that it was not valid. When someone pointed this out to me, my reaction was "What do you mean, it says on it it's valid to 2020!" Luckily I was able to obtain a new one without penalty.

Hooo 18 Oct 2023
In reply to nathan79:

I got a very stroppy last chance reminder for my road tax, warning that if I didn't tax my vehicle immediately it would be impounded. I didn't receive any earlier reminders. So I immediately went online and paid £0. It seems like a bit of a farce. My van gets taxed automatically by direct debit, but I'm wondering if the car can't be taxed automatically because the tax is zero. Which is actually a bit of a pain.

J72 23 Oct 2023
In reply to Hooo:

Same problem here - one year I received an £80 penalty notice for not paying £0 in tax (might I add in a 2L diesel euro 6 that remains in the £0 tax bracket…) not my favourite letter I’ve received…

Hooo 23 Oct 2023
In reply to J72:

That's really mean. Percentage wise the fine literally infinitely more than the original tax!

yorkshire_lad2 24 Oct 2023
In reply to JimR:

I didn't get a reminder for my road tax this year (£0, due to emissions, but still need to "renew"), but then I've noticed a couple of other letters not arriving, so I deduce it's Royal Mail not dvla.

However, I believe no reminders are sent when a driving licence is due to expire (where there's a 10-year expiry), which would be quite easy for dvla to do a reminder letter, which is a bit naughty as the penalty to the licence holder is quite high, as someone else pointed out.

fred99 24 Oct 2023
In reply to Hooo:

> I got a very stroppy last chance reminder for my road tax, warning that if I didn't tax my vehicle immediately it would be impounded. I didn't receive any earlier reminders. So I immediately went online and paid £0. It seems like a bit of a farce. My van gets taxed automatically by direct debit, but I'm wondering if the car can't be taxed automatically because the tax is zero. Which is actually a bit of a pain.

I had exactly the same thing with one of my vintage motorcycles this year - but for the other one I received a reminder. There must be some glitch in the system.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...