Order error dilemma

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LastBoyScout 09 Aug 2021

So, I ordered some 3m long roof rack straps and the company has sent me 5m long straps in error.
For what I want them for, 3m has always been plenty long enough - 5m is far too long and I'll just spend hours pulling the excess through the buckles and tying it off.

Should I:

1. rejoice in having the extra length, just in case?
  2. contact company and get them swapped over?
  3. cut them down to 3m and have done with it?

1 is going to drive me up the wall 99.9% of the time I use them, 2 seems the most honest but least "green" option - I'll probably go with 3 and use the cut-offs for something else.

Bottom Clinger 09 Aug 2021
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Dax H 09 Aug 2021

It will cost the company more to exchange them than they are losing on the price difference. 

4. Get a vehicle which is 2m bigger. 

OP LastBoyScout 09 Aug 2021
In reply to Dax H:

> 3.

> It will cost the company more to exchange them than they are losing on the price difference. 

Exactly - plus all the extra packaging/time/fuel/etc used.

OP LastBoyScout 09 Aug 2021
In reply to Thugitty Jugitty:

> 4. Get a vehicle which is 2m bigger. 

I'll be sorted if I ever need to get a Dragon boat on the car, instead of the usual kayak...

Post edited at 21:51
 Jenny C 09 Aug 2021

Contact shop, tell then of the mistake but say that you are happy to accept the wrong product if they want to avoid the hassle of returning and shipping replacements. (Helps the retailer as otherwise their stock system will be out)

If they say keep the long ones you have got good karma and can shorten them with a hot knife. If they want to exchange them you have done the right thing and still get the straps you wanted. 

OP LastBoyScout 10 Aug 2021
In reply to Jenny C:

Sent them an email this morning and got a reply saying they thought they were all 3m straps and to keep these ones and cut them down to length.

Slightly odd, as they list 5m ones separately, but maybe some have ended up in a wrong box.

bouldery bits 11 Aug 2021

I have 3m straps for the surfboards.

On Wednesday, I was cursing the lack of 5 m straps whilst trying to tie fence panels onto the roof rack. 

You never know when 5m will be handy! 

BB

Ridge 11 Aug 2021
In reply to bouldery bits:

> On Wednesday, I was cursing the lack of 5 m straps whilst trying to tie fence panels onto the roof rack. 

> You never know when 5m will be handy! 

Last Boy Scout has some 2m offcuts he can sell you 😉

summo 11 Aug 2021

> Sent them an email this morning and got a reply saying they thought they were all 3m straps and to keep these ones and cut them down to length.

You did the right thing, as it also prevents a repeat. Their supplier may have incorrectly labelled them, put them on the wrong shelve etc.. it's likely saved somebody time or money down the line and cost you nothing but a few minutes. 

OP LastBoyScout 11 Aug 2021
In reply to bouldery bits:

> I have 3m straps for the surfboards.

> On Wednesday, I was cursing the lack of 5 m straps whilst trying to tie fence panels onto the roof rack. 

> You never know when 5m will be handy! 

I've always joined 2x 3m ones together when I've needed longer. The only time I've ever bought 5m straps was heavy-duty ones on behalf of the Scouts - perfect length for strapping kayaks onto the trailer.

Of the 2 pairs I bought, I'll definitely keep one set as 5m, just in case.

Toerag 11 Aug 2021

> I'll be sorted if I ever need to get a Dragon boat on the car, instead of the usual kayak...

Just strap it on vertically instead of flat

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...