Open-ended trip duration travel insurance

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Toerag 21 Jul 2021

My other half is off to stay with her folks in Germland for the summer and doesn't have a date of return planned as the situation with covid is so variable planning is a waste of time. Will travel insurance companies offer insurance on this basis? I've come across individual trip duration limits in the past for multi-trip policies, but never had to buy open-ended travel insurance before.

profitofdoom 21 Jul 2021
In reply to Toerag:

> My other half is off to stay with her folks in Germland for the summer and doesn't have a date of return planned as the situation with covid is so variable planning is a waste of time. Will travel insurance companies offer insurance on this basis? I've come across individual trip duration limits in the past for multi-trip policies, but never had to buy open-ended travel insurance before.

I'm not an insurance expert - but I'm sorry that I cannot imagine a travel insurance policy without an end date on it: I think that is extremely unlikely to impossible to get. What could you say to the insurance company - "Please give me insurance to whenever I come back?"

So what I would do is [1] phone travel insurance companies and ask them; when that didn't work (as I predict), I would [2] work out the latest date I might return and buy an insurance policy up to that date (remembering that in the case of annual cover, there are usually a "maximum days per trip" and "maximum number of days out of the UK per year" clauses)

Good luck, and hope you can work it out

NinaC 21 Jul 2021
In reply to Toerag:

Hi,

Not sure if it’s what you’re looking for but have a look at true traveller. They offer policies for travelling without an end date. 

Post edited at 17:09
 Philip 21 Jul 2021
In reply to Toerag:

What would you be insuring against? Usually it's cost of travel, illness, repatriation, etc. But if going to stay with family, and if Germland is mainland UK, so is there need to insure anything?

OP Toerag 22 Jul 2021
In reply to Philip:

Germland is my name for Germany, coined years before covid hit, but I understand your assumption :-D . I also live in Guernsey, so UK mainland would involve travel anyway.

Post edited at 09:22
 Philip 22 Jul 2021
In reply to Toerag:

In guessed it would be either and saw you were in Guernsey. With EHIC or GHIC for health cover, what else do you need to insure on a trip with no accomodation risks? Could you get multi trip annual cover instead?

jimtitt 22 Jul 2021
In reply to Philip:

Repatriation, cancelled flights, theft etc. Assuming the OP's other half has no problem with visas there is the point that the EHIC is only valid for temporary trips and in Germany specifically for 6 months. However then they need health insurance not travel insurance.

OP Toerag 22 Jul 2021
In reply to Toerag:

EHIC doesn't apply to us Guerns, we're not in the EU and not part of the UK.  It's travel disruption  / lost baggage / medical treatment cover we require.  Re-booking 2 sets of flights or ferry, hotel and trains for 3 or 4 people soon adds up.  Multi-trip normally has a 30 day trip limit which is no good for the wife and kids.

Post edited at 16:07
 jimtitt 22 Jul 2021
In reply to Toerag:

Open-ended health insurance for Germany? I can tell you what I pay but you won't like it!

yorkshire_lad2 23 Jul 2021
In reply to Toerag:

Get an annual policy with a long enough single-trip limit/days to cover you.  And read the small print for covid cover.

For example, mine says per-trip limit of 25 days or 65 days or 95 days depending on the options taken, with a limit on the total number of days per year.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...