None covid students

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
mick taylor 17 Oct 2020

Oh yes, they exist. My daughters dance college, 600 of them, dancing and singing and sweating (with measures) and not one case. Simple reason: 100% discipline. Admittedly they don’t do the normal boozy party lifestyle (they’re usually too tired to go out), but dancing etc requires a very high level of discipline anyway and so far it’s paying off. 

Offwidth 17 Oct 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

The other end of the spectrum.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2020/oct/17/uk-universities-accused-o...

The problems in my city of Nottingham seem mainly due to student outbreaks that should have never happened. Over 1500 active cases at the peak for Nottingham University and my pals at NTU say they were not far behind but trying not to be public on that.

https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/coronavirus/covid-19-active-case-statistics.as...

Every 1000 student cases in a city population of 330,000 is a rate of 300 per hundred thousand. We peaked at about 8O0 per hundred thousand.

Post edited at 14:57
mick taylor 17 Oct 2020
In reply to Offwidth:

I wonder what type of command go out from the unis. The head bloke at my daughters college basically warned the hell out of them. But it’s a small, very personable college, my daughter is on first name terms with the top bloke. What he says, goes. 
Our two examples highlight the extremes very well. 

Meddins 17 Oct 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

As much as its easy to jab at students for not sticking to guidelines, I also feel sorry for the students having some of the best years of there lives hindered by this virus.

Also on a side note.... remember we were all young once and I know full well I would of broken the rules at that age. (Remember being young and selfish) 

Yanis Nayu 17 Oct 2020
In reply to Meddins:

Precisely. They’ve been dragged from all around the country with the promise that it would be worth it, had the promise of face to face teaching removed before it even started, caught coronavirus in their thousands from living in close proximity to each other, been stuck in tiny flats self-isolating as their first experience of living away from home and then scapegoated. All while accumulating tonnes of debt. Anyone having a dig at them can piss off. 

neilh 17 Oct 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

Give it a few more weeks .......

mondite 17 Oct 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

> Oh yes, they exist. My daughters dance college, 600 of them, dancing and singing and sweating (with measures) and not one case. Simple reason: 100% discipline.

Various groups of students wont have had any. Simple reason: 100% chance.

The problem though is once you get a single infection then when you have a bunch of kids living in cramped quarters it will spread like wildfire.

Meddins 17 Oct 2020
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

I think people forget very quickly that they were young once....

mick taylor 17 Oct 2020
In reply to neilh:

Aye, I know.

mick taylor 17 Oct 2020
In reply to Meddins:

Bloody hell. I feel sorry for them too.  I’m simply making a comparison, not having a jab, highlighting students could be more covid free if they wanted to.

mick taylor 17 Oct 2020
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

I agree with all of that. I’ve posted at length in here about unis. Discussed the problems my son has had (he’s packed it in).  I’ve spent 6 years at uni and have full sympathy. But what’s wrong with highlighting that some students are keeping covid free (fingers crossed she will keep it that way, she needs something positive since her future career is the most f*cked there is).

bouldery bits 17 Oct 2020

> The problem though is once you get a single infection then when you have a bunch of kids living in cramped quarters it will spread like wildfire.

Weird how it also does the same with old people in care homes.

Those ruddy young people. Swaggering around with their Instagram's and their youth and their 'Future'.

Despicable. 

mick taylor 17 Oct 2020
In reply to Meddins:

> I think people forget very quickly that they were young once....

Not me. God you’re patronising - wind it in. 

Meddins 17 Oct 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

God your easily offended..

You must be one of those young "snowflakes" I hear people talking about.

In reply to Meddins:

You must be one of those wigwams I keep hearing about.

mick taylor 17 Oct 2020
In reply to Meddins:

Genuinely: I’ve noticed I am easily offended at the moment. Think all this shits getting to me. I actually resigned from a charity I was involved in yesterday. Started feeling the need to concentrate on family and work. It’s difficult on forums understanding people’s backgrounds and where they are coming from, but I think people misunderstood my OP, no big deal really.  

In reply to mick taylor:

Sorry to hear that.

It's all a bit much at the minute.

I think, if anything, I'm more cantankerous than normal at the moment. I probably also need to chill out a bit. Sorry Meddins. I'm also being a wigwam.

Best wishes to you and yours.

BB

Post edited at 19:55
 Meddins 17 Oct 2020
In reply to bouldery bits:

I'm still trying to work out what a wigwam is. Hahaha 

Yanis Nayu 17 Oct 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

> I agree with all of that. I’ve posted at length in here about unis. Discussed the problems my son has had (he’s packed it in).  I’ve spent 6 years at uni and have full sympathy. But what’s wrong with highlighting that some students are keeping covid free (fingers crossed she will keep it that way, she needs something positive since her future career is the most f*cked there is).

No worries.  I hope it works out for your daughter - competitive business I'd imagine.  With any luck the worse will be over before before our kids graduate.

Dax H 17 Oct 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

> Genuinely: I’ve noticed I am easily offended at the moment. Think all this shits getting to me. I actually resigned from a charity I was involved in yesterday. Started feeling the need to concentrate on family and work.

It will get better, anyone with any intelligence will have down turns at the moment, my shoulders are  ery large and my back though damaged can carry the weight of the world but I broke a few weeks ago and just wanted to sit in a corner and cry. Fortunately I was only down for a few days and something amazing happened and brought me back to myself. 

The same will happen for you and you have the added bonus of knowing your daughter is okay too. 

Bobling 17 Oct 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

Wow!  Argument on UKC ends with apologies and handshakes all round.  Well done everyone : )  You didn't even have Timmd here to facilitate for you!

Because it's a written format and sometimes words can be taken the wrong way easily I'd like to clarify that I am being completely sincere.

In reply to Bobling:

> Wow!  Argument on UKC ends with apologies and handshakes all round

Yeah; this covid shit is getting to all of us...

wintertree 18 Oct 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

> I actually resigned from a charity I was involved in yesterday.  Started feeling the need to concentrate on family and work.

Yes, now is an important time to focus on helping shepherd things closest to oneself through the next few months.  I’ve removed myself from the roles where I have been lest important/most interchangeable to save my time and energy (and patience) for the roles where I’m more needed.  Family first, select other things second, bullshit jettisoned.

Post edited at 00:13
 The New NickB 18 Oct 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

My step-daughter is at higher risk, so she made a decision before term started to apply to do as much as possible of her second year online and cancel her accommodation. However, if that wasn't the case, she would have been in halls with high incidences of Covid. She is very sensible, far more so than I was at that age. If her personal medical situation had been more typical of a 19 year old, she would have been back at University and in the middle of a major outbreak, regardless of how sensible she is. There is more than a hint of accusations of fecklessness aimed towards students caught up in outbreaks in your post.

Offwidth 18 Oct 2020
In reply to The New NickB:

I'm not angry with students. I'm angry with government for not providing better financial support for Universities and better advice on limiting face to face teaching as much as possible, to institutions, those who study and work there; also with VCs who didn't lobby hard enough or prepare well enough or inspire students to slightly adjusted behaviour (it's possible to be young and enjoy life without spreading this pandemic). This mess was all predicted by alternative SAGE and the Lecturers union UCU.

http://wonkhe.com/blogs/universities-get-some-indie-sage-advice-on-reopenin...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...