New Mills, High Peak, what's it like?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sam501 17 May 2010
Hi, my sister is looking to move closer to me and is in contact with a family from New Mills in the High peak. It will be a council exchange, the road in question is Poplar Avenue.

Does anyone on here know what the area is like in terms of friendly people, decent schools (my neice is 4), bus services, shops, i.e, somewhere local to do a reasonably cheap weekly shop, any major problems with youth behavior, i.e, major drink/drug issues, vandalism, intimidation etc (and anything else you may wish to add!)

I would appreciate any comments, good or bad as long as they're honest!

Many thanks in advance, Sam
 EeeByGum 17 May 2010
In reply to sam501: Hmmm. New Mills is a funny one. On paper, it is lovely, being close to the Peak District, but still well connected to Manchester and Stockport by train. I believe it has a reasonable lively high street with a supermarket to supply everything you might need.

However, I have heard that the locals can be a bit roudy from time to time. Like most places though, I guess it depends where you live.
 Scarab9 17 May 2010
In reply to sam501:

I loved living there and wish I could move back!

Obviously it's a beautiful around there and just on the edge of the Peak. It's got good train services to Manchester, and doesn't take too long by car as long as it's not rush hour. If commuting is an issue, the train tickets are about £80 for the month which is not bad and the trains are empty when they go through so you can do it in quite a relaxed way.

I didn't get many busses but my ex did and they seem to be pretty good.

Can't advise regarding schools I'm afraid as really don't know.

There's a Somerfield on the high street, and a big Co-op just down the road which are both ok. Also there's other places not too far away for a 'big shop' - Stockport is not hard to get to where there's a a big asda and others, and there's a Morrisons not far away as well (can't remember where right now :-s)

It can be noisy on the high street at kicking out time but elsewhere is fine. No trouble, just loud voices. I lived literally opposite the 'rough' pub there and never saw any trouble. There's LOADS of pubs around and you can walk in any without bother although some are nicer than others. As a rule most people are friendly in the shops/pubs or walking down the Torrs or where ever else.
Talking of the Torrs/Millenium walk etc, anywhere in New Mills (inc Poplar Ave which I've just checked on the map) you're no more than a couple of mins from steps down in to somewhere nice to walk that feels secluded.

Chris the Tall 17 May 2010
In reply to sam501:
"No frills, handy for the hills, that's the way you spell New Mills"

Half Man Half Biscuit - The Light at the End of the Tunnel
OP sam501 17 May 2010
Thanks for your input guys, I will pass it all on to my sister.

In the meantime I will pop over and have a walk around.

Thanks again, Sam
 Peakpdr 17 May 2010
In reply to sam501: lived here for around 1yr now and have never had any problems . We live behind the high street and as scarab says it can be a bit noisy at weekends but isnt everywhere
We have got 5 kids and 4 of them go to schools in the area , the schools are very good we have 1 at nursery , 2 at primary and 1 at the High school and they love it the schools pride them selfs on a personal aproach to each child and are always taking them out on trips to the peak and other area,s

Oh and the climbings ace
OP sam501 17 May 2010
In reply to pauldr:

Thanks, it's good to have first hand opinions of the schools. It's the main worry for a parent when moving somewhere new.

My sister's not really an outdoorsy (is that a word?!) person but think she'll change her mind up here
 Al Evans 17 May 2010
In reply to sam501: I loved living in New Mills, crag in the town and halfway on the train between Sheffield and Manchester on the Hope Valley line, wirh another line to Stockport and Buxton. Easy access to Kinder and other great Peak areas.
MLTA 17 May 2010
In reply to sam501:

I lived there for 4 years- had a 5 year old when I arrived- he is now at the High school and it's been really good for him- Newtown is a great small friendly primary school- in fact they are all really good. I wasn't sure about the High School but my son seems to like it and its also small enough to have a friendly feel so have been won over!
Rachael

OP sam501 17 May 2010
In reply to MLTA: Thanks Rachael, again its reassuring to hear possitive things about schools my niece may go to. Do you think there are any parts of New Mills that are best to be avoided or is it pretty safe and friendly everywhere? I may be being over paranoid but she's my little sister. She may be 23 but I still worry!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...