Nepal - USD or Local Currency ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Raymondo 18 Oct 2023

Hi All,

Just have a few weeks trekking in Nepal, my first time over there so not sure what to expect.

A few days in Kathmandu, and the rest of the time trekking in around Pokhara, Poon Hill, Chitwan.

What do folks think about using USD vs Nepalese Rupee ? Are both accepted or is one more acceptable to the local restaurants / shops etc in Kathmandu. What about rural areas ? 

Thanks.

Andypeak 18 Oct 2023
In reply to Raymondo:

When I was there in 2015 no one would accept USD, it was Rupees or go hungry. 

wjcdean 18 Oct 2023
In reply to Raymondo:

i was there in 2022 and expected everyone to want USD as this is what is implied online, but rupees is definitely the answer.

most places will accept USD at a push, but the exchange rate will be terrible, usually 1:10 to make the maths easy. 

LastBoyScout 18 Oct 2023
In reply to Raymondo:

Definitely Rupees, but you can't get them until you get there, so take one of the cards here to withdraw from cash machines in bigger towns: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/travel-credit-cards/

More remote places won't have cash machines, so plan ahead.

The more touristy places may take USD, but the exchange rate will be horrible.

Getting the balance of cash right is tricky, so you have plenty during your trip, but not too much left at the end. Quite a lot of places may take card payments, but the internet can be flaky (like mobile internet in more rural places) and it may not go through - we ended up part paying a couple of bills with USD due to this.

That was 2017, though.

David Bowler 18 Oct 2023
In reply to LastBoyScout:

You can get rupees, and many other currencies not normally available outside the country, from ManorFX.

https://www.manorfx.com/

Not a great rate of exchange but worth it if you want some on arrival without having to exchange at the airport.

OP Raymondo 18 Oct 2023
In reply to Raymondo:

Good advice everyone, look like rupees are the way to go.

One advantage of USD is that any excess left over can be used on the next holiday destination, and we do have some left over from our previous trip.

Looks like I need to plan ahead to have some or all the rupees up front.

Any advice on pricing meals etc, so a small evening dinner in Kathmando in an 'ok' establishment - how much in rupees ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...