modern songs to learn on piano, also books/ you tube

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ALT EGO 23 May 2024

a friends teenage  son is a great pianist but, like his father , has very conservative musical taste. I was chatting to him about songs to learn that people would recognise as piano songs or that just sound good on piano. off the top of my head I said anything by the Beatles, almost anything by Nick Cave (post birthday party) particularly into my arms and just about anything by Simon and Garfunkel. thats a bit to go at. I would like to buy him a book with this kind of thing in it but I have no idea what . so ideas for songs from the resident piano thumpers and ideas for books please.

Sealwife 23 May 2024
In reply to ALT EGO:

Piano based pop songs played in my house (not by me) - Adele, Elton John, Abba, David Gray, George Michael, Tori Amos (that might be quite hard though), Queen. All of these available in book form - I’m looking at the bookshelf right now.  Also lots of musical theatre type stuff, chart hits by year and classical chill out stuff.

J Skye 23 May 2024
In reply to ALT EGO:

Not a book but your question reminded me of this, probably one of the greatest Beatles piano covers I've ever heard, by a master:

youtube.com/watch?v=JFhNCZExsss&

dread-i 23 May 2024
In reply to ALT EGO:

Avril14

youtube.com/watch?v=uxTdTaNIUxo&

Light my fire - Doors has a nice keyboard line.

Pretty much anything by Einaudi

NorthernGrit 23 May 2024
In reply to ALT EGO:

I really like Nacho Pozo's youtube channel. It's all in Spanish but language isn't too much of a barrier. Chuck him a couple of quid on patreon and sheet music is available too.

Heike 23 May 2024
In reply to ALT EGO:

My husband plays things from Francesco https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ8THdZnqPVoLN9zuT-pjBg

He has got loads of up to date music. It is really good. You can listen to the songs and buy one at a time. Well worth having a look.

Blue Straggler 23 May 2024
In reply to ALT EGO:

Light, Strata, Feathers, Birdwoman and Glass Sea by Poppy Ackroyd. All in one collection “Sketches” that you can buy as an actual piano solo sheet music book

Blue Straggler 23 May 2024

> Tori Amos (that might be quite hard though),

the teenager in question is apparently “a great pianist” so let’s assume that nothing is “hard” for them 

I also nominate Pajarillo by Elena Luisa Paesano. It’s not hard (hard for me because I am not a great pianist) but it’s great. You can find a decent score online . Not recognisable like “Imagine” but so so much better 

Or try El Choclo by Angel Villòldo , very recognisable 

In reply to ALT EGO:

Piano music of modern songs is all over the place in terms of quality of transcriptions. Generally best where the song was written by a pianist, e.g., Bohemian Rhapsody by Freddie Mercury, and Great Gig in the Sky and Shine on You Crazy Diamond by Rick Wright. Others that I have liked are: Creep , My Way, The Girl from Ipanema, Unchained Melody, You'll Never Walk Alone, Your Song, and lots by the Beatles.

In reply to J Skye:

> Not a book but your question reminded me of this, probably one of the greatest Beatles piano covers I've ever heard, by a master:

You'd have to be really good to play that!

aln 24 May 2024
In reply to dread-i:

> Avril14

I love that, 1st tune I thought of.

aln 24 May 2024
In reply to John Stainforth:

> You'd have to be really good to play that!

You'd have to be a boring old chin stroking bastard to want to.

deacondeacon 24 May 2024
In reply to Heike:

I'd say Francesco would be absolutely perfect. So many covers of popular songs are aimed at beginners but Francesco is so much more. I didn't know I liked Taylor Swift until I learnt Francescos version of Lover 😅

In reply to ALT EGO:

The Piano (Nyman)? Written so they could be played by actress Holly Hunter, a capable pianist, but not a virtuoso.

Tiersen's Comptine d'un Atre Ete seems popular.

veteye 24 May 2024
In reply to ALT EGO:

In the past I took a sheet music copy from my brothers, of something in the air, by Thunderclap Newman, which was quite good.

Ditto I'm still waiting by Diana Ross.

A lot of sheet music of popular songs is disappointing as it is simplistic rubbish, and not like the actual songs.

J Skye 24 May 2024
In reply to John Stainforth:

Yes, he is outstanding, I think. But how about this, the otherworldly Chris Anderson:

youtube.com/watch?v=-ZYLQNSJtBk&

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...