Metal splinters.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bottom Clinger 29 Mar 2021

Been using dry wall screws and got a thumb full of micro shards of splinters. Any tips on getting rid of them?  Couple are quite sore.

Maggot 29 Mar 2021
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

Go and demand an MRI scan at your local hospital.

In reply to Maggot:

Should I call an ambulance?  

ThunderCat 29 Mar 2021

Pal at work managed to get one in his eye last year and managed to extract it with a small pair of pliers.

At which point his eyeball started to deflate / lose pressure and he had to have an op to stitch up / seal the puncture wound.

Every single element of that story gives me a different kind of panic attack.

Timmd 29 Mar 2021

You could soak it in warm water to soften the skin, and put a needle in a flame to sterilise it and gently see if you can remove them?

Post edited at 18:15
 Myfyr Tomos 29 Mar 2021

I find a new Stanley knife blade works well. Keep digging until the little blighter appears at the tip. Messy, but strangely satisfying...😲

wbo2 29 Mar 2021

If they're protruding at all try duct tape to stick to them , and pull out.  Has worked for me with very fine cactus hair spikes,  marine sponge spicules etc

sbc23 29 Mar 2021

Needles work best. Fine hypodermic if you have access to them (eBay). Go in the same direction as the splinter went in, but slightly below. Lift the flap of skin up and drag the splinter out with the point.

For bigger timber splinters you can sometimes attack perpendicular, spearing the bit of wood. Then drag it out along the original track.

Fibreglass and clear acrylic shards are the worst. You can’t see them to do anything with them. 

Cobra_Head 29 Mar 2021
In reply to sbc23:

> Needles work best. Fine hypodermic......

full of heroin, and you'll not bother about your finger.

wilkie14c 29 Mar 2021

You could try the syringe trick (without needle) and use it like a kind of reverse pump (vacuum?) To suck it/them out

Works well with wood splinters. Soak fingers to make them soft

wintertree 29 Mar 2021

Slather on some magnesium sulfate before going to bed if you don't fancy digging around with a hypodermic - although they are very good for small splinters.  Biting where you squeeze the skin either side of the intrusion to try and pressure it out can also work.

hang_about 29 Mar 2021

Big magnet?

mondite 29 Mar 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

I had to downvote this simply because its such a damned unpleasant thought.

I have difficulty handling eye drops ffs.

wercat 29 Mar 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

Oh, I had that back in the 80s in a fab shop, even with safety goggles!  Site Nurse froze the eye then it felt as if she was going to pull my eyeball out as she withdrew the splinter.  Ouch!

profitofdoom 29 Mar 2021
In reply to wercat:

> Oh, I had that back in the 80s in a fab shop, even with safety goggles!  Site Nurse froze the eye then it felt as if she was going to pull my eyeball out as she withdrew the splinter.  Ouch!

Many years ago I got a few glass splinters into my right eye in an accident, a very unpleasant day. It hurt. I rushed to a basin and repeatedly flushed my whole eyeball with running water, again and again. I then went to a small hospital. The eye doctor examined me and said the splinters were out, but there was some minor damage. Gave me medicine 

My right eye has never been the same and still has problems 

Thanks all. Magnets, knives, duct tape all being applied. Think I will limit use of those pesky shardy screws. 

Flinticus 30 Mar 2021
In reply to profitofdoom:

You are well named

Timmd 30 Mar 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

How did it pull it out of his 'own eye with plyers'? That's either hardcore or foolhardy. Brrr shudder.

Iwan 30 Mar 2021

As a professional matalsmith part of my daily routine is the removal of splinters.

1) wash the affected area so that the splinters are easier to see.

2) don your Optivisor or magnifying glass

3) scrape a sharp scalpel across the finger in such a manner that you feel the blade hit the splinter; make a mental note of where the splinter is...

4) either pull the splinter with high quality tweezers or flick it out with the scalpel (be sure to wear eye protection or Optivisor)

5) play guitar/banjo finger picking style to help locate any remaining splinters

cb294 30 Mar 2021
In reply to Iwan:

The scalpel trick is good. The only reasonable way to remove splinters you then found is a good magnifying glass or a stereomicroscope (I know I am cheating here), and a really fine set of tweezers (e.g. DuMont 5.5s).

CB

jimtitt 30 Mar 2021
In reply to Iwan:

> As a professional matalsmith part of my daily routine is the removal of splinters.

> 1) wash the affected area so that the splinters are easier to see.

> 2) don your Optivisor or magnifying glass

> 3) scrape a sharp scalpel across the finger in such a manner that you feel the blade hit the splinter; make a mental note of where the splinter is...

> 4) either pull the splinter with high quality tweezers or flick it out with the scalpel (be sure to wear eye protection or Optivisor)

> 5) play guitar/banjo finger picking style to help locate any remaining splinters

Your refined! I'm a Stanley knife man myself and the rest I live with.

Had to get my fingerprints taken last week for a new pass to live in Germany (thanks Brexit) and it took 6 goes to get an acceptable scan from my index finger.

mwr72 31 Mar 2021

You're using the cheap black ones, bin them and spend on some gyproc screws.

Unfortunately I;m not in a position to do that as they are bought in by my employer.

You do get used to them though there is the odd one that is a bit of a pain(no pun intended)

When I was climbing on a regular basis my tips were as tough as old boot leather and I never felt any splinters, even when climbing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...