Looking for a "big coat".

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MonkeyPuzzle 26 Oct 2021

Y'know, for going to the pub, standing at the bus stop, cold weather strolls and that.

Waterproof, warm, covering the arse, pockets, hood. Wouldn't hurt if it looked nice. "Parkas" to some but like your big coat. You know.

Budget up to £200 if it's really really nice but ideally a bit less.

Any suggestions?

wintertree 26 Oct 2021
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

Decent wax jacket from someone like John Partridge.  Mine is still going after 26 years, in large part because it's built with proper, chunky metalwork for the poppers and zip.  I lost the hood about a decade ago, but I use one from a long-since expired Rab down jacket which poppers on well enough.  It does smell a bit like a dog when it gets wet though these days.

Their "long" one smashes your budget though, but if it last over a quarter century...

Neil Williams 26 Oct 2021

I wear a windproof fleece with a waterproof over the top if it rains, same as I do on the hills.  Haven't had another coat than that for years.

65 26 Oct 2021

Barbours and their ilk are hard to beat, though maybe out of budget. Patagonia do a big parka, can't recall what it's called. I suspect ski suppliers will also have what you want. The auction site is your friend if you don't mind buying slightly used. 

kingborris 26 Oct 2021

Haglofs Siljan. Can be found for under your budget (Keller sports). Ticks all your boxes I think

Olaf Prot 26 Oct 2021

This one any good?

youtube.com/watch?v=Rauu_MNZXgo&

daWalt 26 Oct 2021

it does sound like you want to have a look at agricultural stuff, or "field sports"

if you want cheap, look at farm suppliers. if you go to a field sports supplier you might end up looking like a right proper Nigel

https://www.newforestclothing.co.uk/products/ridgeline-monsoon-classic-wate...

Bottom Clinger 26 Oct 2021

Not a coat, but at my work we’ve been helping make a quilt for a 3.5 metre high girl...

https://m.facebook.com/MyWigan/videos/giant-puppet-little-amal-is-coming-to...

Now that’s what I call big!  

Graeme G 26 Oct 2021

Waterproof? For going to the pub? Everyone knows walking to the pub is only ever peaked with anticipation. And walking back doesn’t exist. So why it needs to be waterproof is beyond me.

Google ‘Next’. They’re quite a popular non-climbing retail brand who should be able to help you out.

veteye 27 Oct 2021

I bought a Jack Wolfskin one recently, not for hill walking etc, but for just putting on afore going out locally/work etc. I don't remember it being over £200. It has a zipped in quilt lining that adds to insulation, but I suspect that I will wear it a good amount without that. The quilted jacket can also be used on its own.

Sealwife 27 Oct 2021

Trespass and Craghoppers are generally pretty good for such things

Bob Kemp 27 Oct 2021

I’ve had a Didriksons parka for six or seven years now that fits your spec.. it’s been very good and shows few signs of wear. Their range fits your budget and you can often find them discounted quite heavily - mine was about 40% off and a quick search shows there are similar deals around now. 

guffers_hump 27 Oct 2021

You could get a Bundeswehr parka comes in a brighter than olive sort of drab or flecktarn. Looks cool (imo probs because i'm a saddo) and is very warm.

Post edited at 11:04
 ALF_BELF 27 Oct 2021

Cant insert ebay link for some reason, but you can buy the Timothy Everest Ventile Parka for about £200 on there.

I got one of these, only start looking good once they're worn in and less stiff but it's very comfortable and warm and passes the pub test. (Pub test being your mates not laughing at you because you've dressed like a clown in some fancy new clothes).

I can go out in winter with just a thin layer underneath, feels like you're in your own eco system with the hood up. V good and you can just chuck it on.

Iamgregp 27 Oct 2021

It's a little over your budget, and doesn't cover your arse but the Rab Vailance jacket is by far the warmest, comfiest and most waterproof jacket I've ever had.  

I don't do long coats meself, make me feel like Arsene Wenger.

Ridge 27 Oct 2021
In reply to guffers_hump:

> You could get a Bundeswehr parka comes in a brighter than olive sort of drab or flecktarn. Looks cool (imo probs because i'm a saddo) and is very warm.

Don't buy the flectarn version unless your local is a Waffen SS themed Bierkeller.

Gavin 27 Oct 2021
In reply to Sealwife:

I've had one of these for nearly a year and been pleased with how warm I've been while stood watching football.

https://www.blacks.co.uk/16049324/craghoppers-men-s-bishorn-jacket-16049324...

I think I got mine in last year's colours for about £130.

SFM 27 Oct 2021

Have a squizz on Sportspursuit, they seem to have a few atm that might fit your bill. You'll need to sign up to them to view them probably though.

https://www.sportpursuit.com/sales/insulated-jackets-oct2021?p=5

sdw7300 27 Oct 2021

I bought a Tog24 waterproof ski jacket (but in a non-garish colour!) as my "big coat" many years ago. Super warm and waterproof for standing still but also has pit zips for as soon as you start to move. Still going strong 

tallsteve 27 Oct 2021

Get down to your local farm supplies shed.  You know the one - they sell everything from wellies to hydraulic oil.  A big coat is likely to be a mainstream, and you won't get a farmer paying £200 for a jacket.  If you've paid more than £100 you've been robbed.  Plenty of wax cotton available thats for sure.

yorkshireman 27 Oct 2021
In reply to 65:

> Patagonia do a big parka, can't recall what it's called.

I got the Patagonia Isthmus a couple of years back. Pretty sure it was under the £200 budget with the benefit of free repairs and buying from an ethical B-corp.

It was for the same reason as the OP - I live in the mountains so have tons of sports-specific technical wear that keep me warm but I just wanted something I could sling on to walk to the car in the snow, or wear in town when it's -5º but just whip off when you go into a shop or get a coffee without faffing with layers.

65 27 Oct 2021
In reply to yorkshireman:

That's the one.

CantClimbTom 27 Oct 2021

Maybe not quite as big and heavy or waterproof, but for 3 seasons at least (or 4 if you're the sort of person like me who wears shorts all year round) there's a lot to be said for a big pile jacket. Pick a larger size so you can wear over a fleece if extremely cold. Works for me! Ticks all the go to pub, wait at bus stop etc boxes

https://rab.equipment/uk/original-pile-jacket

Post edited at 19:53
In reply to kingborris:

> Haglofs Siljan. Can be found for under your budget (Keller sports). Ticks all your boxes I think

£300 not £200 max.

OP MonkeyPuzzle 27 Oct 2021

> I got the Patagonia Isthmus a couple of years back. Pretty sure it was under the £200 budget with the benefit of free repairs and buying from an ethical B-corp.

> It was for the same reason as the OP - I live in the mountains so have tons of sports-specific technical wear that keep me warm but I just wanted something I could sling on to walk to the car in the snow, or wear in town when it's -5º but just whip off when you go into a shop or get a coffee without faffing with layers.

Yeah, that's exactly my thinking. 

Is the Isthmus definitely warm enough for a winter coat? Saw a review that said there wasn't any insulation in the sleeves. It definitely looks the part.

yorkshireman 28 Oct 2021

> Is the Isthmus definitely warm enough for a winter coat? Saw a review that said there wasn't any insulation in the sleeves. It definitely looks the part.

I probably wouldn't want to stand outside in sub-zero temps for long periods of time in it but it certainly did the job for normal life stuff in an Alpine winter.

wercat 28 Oct 2021

Keep us informed of your progress - keep a "Big Coat Diary"

guffers_hump 28 Oct 2021
In reply to Ridge:

Do you still chant "2 world wars and 1 world cup" at the footy?

subtle 28 Oct 2021

> Waterproof, warm, covering the arse, pockets, hood. Wouldn't hurt if it looked nice. "Parkas" to some but like your big coat. You know.

> Budget up to £200 if it's really really nice but ideally a bit less.

> Any suggestions?

Get a Dryrobe (other brands available) - waterproof, warm, covers the arse, pockets - similar to a parka, and cheaper than £200

Looks nice - well, in certain environments.

cb294 28 Oct 2021

Late to the thread, but Fjällräven and the other Scandi brands all make excellent big coats. Any level of warmth you may want from light Parkas to coats for dogsled racing...
Best thing for sitting or standing still in the cold, e.g. when birding.

CB

mike123 28 Oct 2021

I had a fleece lined patagucci jacket as my big coat for several years . Far too warm for Anything active but a great pub jacket . Strangely I have no idea what happened to it but I suspect it made it to the pub one night but not home again. 

OP MonkeyPuzzle 28 Oct 2021
In reply to wercat:

> Keep us informed of your progress - keep a "Big Coat Diary"

Excellent work but be careful what you wish for.

OP MonkeyPuzzle 29 Oct 2021

Thanks all for your suggestions.

Intrigued by wax jackets but couldn’t picture myself in one, I ended up buying a Fjallraven Vardag padded jacket. Should last a long time, can wax for additional protection but I won’t get my pint knocked over by the hunt sabs in my local.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...