Little egret now

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bottom Clinger 29 Dec 2023

It’s a rough day !  

ThunderCat 29 Dec 2023
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

Egrets?  I've had a few...but then again...to few to mention...

CantClimbTom 29 Dec 2023

Lovely pic! But I wonder if birds catch fire and drop to the ground if they accidentally fly through a rainbow? Must be a great hazard to them

In reply to CantClimbTom:

> Lovely pic! But I wonder if birds catch fire and drop to the ground if they accidentally fly through a rainbow? Must be a great hazard to them

If they did catch fire today, then the downpours would soon extinguish them. Crazy weather. Took my proper camera, but without the battery, so left it in the car. Glad really given how I got soaked a few times. 

Lankyman 29 Dec 2023
In reply to ThunderCat:

> Egrets?  I've had a few...but then again...to few to mention...

Non? Je n'egret rien!

The only bird I noticed today through streaming eyes was the robin at Fairy Steps picking at my porkpie crust.

Post edited at 18:38
In reply to Lankyman:

> Non? Je n'egret rien!

> The only bird I noticed today through streaming eyes was the robin at Fairy Steps picking at my porkpie crust.

Ouch

In reply to Lankyman:

> Non? Je n'egret rien!

> The only bird I noticed today through streaming eyes was the robin at Fairy Steps picking at my porkpie crust.

That would be a Cock Robin that was pecking at your pecker. 

Michael Hood 30 Dec 2023

No plane taking off or landing in the background? 😁

In Anglesey, not even gone outside today, vile weather. But no doubt the Eider and Scoters (all common as far as I could see) I saw yesterday will not even have noticed.

In reply to Michael Hood:

> No plane taking off or landing in the background? 😁

Any planes taking off got blew into Blackpool Tower, which I believe was on fire

> In Anglesey, not even gone outside today, vile weather. But no doubt the Eider and Scoters (all common as far as I could see) I saw yesterday will not even have noticed.

Its been rubbish weather hasn’t it. Although good to see a few skeins of pinkies this morning, and a jay and plenty redwings on my local dog walk.  Enjoy Anglesey.  

Post edited at 22:51
 Darron 31 Dec 2023

I got out Friday for a windy walk over Shining Tor. Enjoyed a small flock of Siskin but ‘star bird’ was a Pipistrelle in broad daylight!

Michael Hood 31 Dec 2023
In reply to Darron:

This makes no real difference and I've no idea whether you're a bat expert or not, but I'm sure I remember someone who knew a lot about this posting quite recently that there were many tiny bat species in the UK and that not all that we might assume are pipistrelles actually are. And IIRC that some were only identifiable in the hand.

I made/make exactly the same assumption with one I saw hunting in daylight earlier this year (and with the ones I see by streetlight down my road) but I've no idea whether they actually are/were pipistrelles.

I've also got no idea how you tell the various species apart but I'm damn sure it's not as easy as IDing the local blackbird 😁

CantClimbTom 31 Dec 2023
In reply to Darron:

Surprised they'd not be hibernating right now? 

FactorXXX 31 Dec 2023
In reply to Michael Hood:

> I've also got no idea how you tell the various species apart but I'm damn sure it's not as easy as IDing the local blackbird 😁

Bat detectorists use a bat detector that identifies the specific type of bat by analysing the frequency of the bats echolcation system.
https://londonbats.org.uk/bat-cave/echolocation-and-bat-detectos/#:~:text=N....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...