Learning to play the harmonica

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Nomisr 21 Mar 2020

Can anyone recommend an on line site for learning to play the harmonica ?

Thanks, Simon

Removed User 21 Mar 2020
In reply to Nomisr:

I appreciate that self isolation can lead to extreme boredom for many, but surely there is no call for this?

MG 21 Mar 2020
In reply to Removed Userena sharples:

Harmonica playing neighbour surely a justification for murder when we are all quarentined? 

Tom Valentine 21 Mar 2020

None at all. He should get a banjo instead.

grump gnome 21 Mar 2020
In reply to Tom Valentine:

Bagpipes!

slutswood 21 Mar 2020
In reply to Nomisr:

youtube is the default site for things like this. i lost my harmonica ages ago, i think my siblings had something to do with this..

Post edited at 17:21
 HB1 21 Mar 2020
In reply to Nomisr:

What sort?  I started with a Hohner  blues harp back in '64. Strongly influenced by the stuff coming over from the States. You just play it you know!  If you're more interested in playing like Larry Adler it gets a lot more complicated! Good luck

OP Nomisr 21 Mar 2020
In reply to HB1:

, hohner blues harp in C,  short of hearing elderly neighbours, cat  not impressed though , payback time

Dave the Rave 21 Mar 2020
In reply to Nomisr:

Bill Clinton the ex president, has a good site on harmonica playing.

He said ‘har har monica’ a lot back in the 90’s.

tmawer 22 Mar 2020

I used to enjoy trying to play, but one day my harmonica went missing. Years later it turned up in the bottom of a jug I sometimes use for flowers as a rust lump. I'm sure it was put there by the woman I was then dating or one of her kids! 

Tom Valentine 22 Mar 2020
In reply to Nomisr:

If you have a C harp and want to play blues, I think you'll have to play tunes in the key of G . (Happy to be corrected by an actual player, though)

russellcampbell 24 Mar 2020
In reply to Nomisr:

To paraphrase Oscar Wilde. A gentleman is somebody who can play the harmonica. - But doesn't.

Tom Valentine 24 Mar 2020
In reply to russellcampbell:

I saw Larry Adler on stage a few years before he died and he told this tale:

Adler gets into a London cab and gives the cabbie directions. They set off and the cabbie says " You're that Larry Adler bloke aren't you? Mouth organs and stuff."

Adler replies, "Yes that's me. I'm also known a a raconteur."

Cabbie: "Raconteur? Oh. jokes and stuff. Here, I've got a good joke for you!"

He then tells Adler a long and particularly unfunny joke, and finishes by asking him what he thought of it.

Adler replies, "Ive written a book. It's called "Jokes and How to Tell Them." You should read it."

Cabbie retorts: "You should read mine, squire. It's called "Harmonicas and Where to Shove 'Em"!

Neil Henson 24 Mar 2020

> If you have a C harp and want to play blues, I think you'll have to play tunes in the key of G . (Happy to be corrected by an actual player, though)

Yes, if you are playing in "second position", then you will use a C Harmonica to play along to backing music in the key of G. Blues is usually played in second position. First position is played with the same key harmonica as the backing track. I believe this is more common in folk music, but can be done with blues.

I'm still a relative beginner on harmonica though, so am no expert in this.

Post edited at 13:03
 Neil Henson 24 Mar 2020
In reply to Nomisr:

I do on-line lessons with Tomlin Leckie. He also does some good free stuff on You Tube.

russellcampbell 24 Mar 2020

To set the record straight, I am very fond of moothie music a la Dylan, Neil Young and some of the old blues masters.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...