Land Rover Thefts

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RobOggie 15 Jan 2024

Bit of a random topic...do people still steal/strip the now so called 'Classic Defenders'? (Basically any up until 2016)

I'm aware that obviously any car gets stolen etc, but I just don't seem to hear about it happening weekly like I used to and a cursory google search only really brings up older stuff and the epidemic of peoples Range Rovers being keylessly taken.

Only ask as I've seen a few of them up for sale in good condition for what I would consider quite a reasonable price and can't see it being too long before they're hard to find/very expensive for one that's not in a rusted mess!

montyjohn 15 Jan 2024
In reply to RobOggie:

I would say yes. They are still being nicked at an alarming rate.

Here's an article form last summer saying the defender theft rate went up 87% https://www.bracknellnews.co.uk/news/23690849.land-rover-defender-thefts-sk...

another form the year before saying they have gone up 34% https://www.farmersguide.co.uk/rural/rural-crime/defender-thefts-soaring-la...

A chap I knew believed the only way to protect them was to lock them up, in a garage, or chain them to an anchor.

I've got a P38 which nobody wants to steal. In fact, it's almost impossible to steal. Even when you have the key the security system often refuses to let you in or start the engine. Extra secure.

OP RobOggie 15 Jan 2024
In reply to montyjohn:

Ah bollocks. Thanks for the answer! I guess it's still happening - it's just being overshadowed in press coverage by the ease and frequency of stealing of the newer more expensive cars!

Can't be bothered to wake up to the car not being there again so I guess I'll just have to find something else!

Yes the P38 is a very different beast! Although you say that - I had an Isuzu D Max stolen which barely had a straight panel on it and no power steering, they will literally take anything!

Andrew95 15 Jan 2024
In reply to RobOggie:

As Montyjohn said its still happening. It seems to be in certain areas though? I am lucky that I rarely hear of any where I am. But I am still fully expecting to go outside one day and it not be there. I have fitted every security device you can think of, that's all I can do. If they want it they will take it. 

Its the sad reality of the world we live in. 

petegunn 15 Jan 2024

Think there was another one recently stolen from a member of Jim Popes family, his dads I think?? Only last week or so.

Post edited at 10:54
 Toerag 16 Jan 2024
In reply to RobOggie:

> Yes the P38 is a very different beast! Although you say that - I had an Isuzu D Max stolen which barely had a straight panel on it and no power steering, they will literally take anything!

Even Suzuki Carry vans worth <£1k are being stolen for export regularly.

Sharp 16 Jan 2024
In reply to RobOggie:

They're taken from everywhere but there definitely seem to be some areas where it's more common. There are facebook groups which will probably give you a better idea of how frequently it's happening. The price has definitely dropped recently, whether or not it goes up or not is a different matter. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...