I'm having a crap day, and don't know what to do

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bleddynmawr 07 Apr 2020

I am managing an NHS ward. We have two confirmed covid cases who we are looking after with the bare minimum of PPE. I have 11 staff off sick at present, mostly covid related, some ill, and some isolating as they have crohn's, recovering from cancer, etc. Last Friday I was meant to have 6 nurses, but had 3 all day.

So how am I supposed to feel when I get an email asking why we didn't get a particular KPI back in March. March, not now, for a patient that has since been discharged. The answer will take me time to find and will impact no-ones care. And the deadline is by "close of play". This doesn't feel like a game to me at the moment.

I am writing this in the 10 mins that is my lunch hour. Did they really rearrange the deck chairs on the Titanic? People are isolated and working from home, and the beurocratic bean counting goes on.

Why am I risking the health of my family and myself to be asked to do this nonsense? I already feel hugely guilty for increasing their risk.

I'm not sure everyone realises the importance of focussing on what needs doing.

As I said, having a crap day! Not asking for sympathy.

profitofdoom 07 Apr 2020
In reply to bleddynmawr:

Thanks for writing

I think your post is valuable to others

Thanks for all you have done and are doing

olddirtydoggy 07 Apr 2020
In reply to bleddynmawr:

Whilst the t crossing and i dotting is a total waste of time at the moment the thing that matters is the job you're really doing and the fact the public are extremely greatful for the service you provide. My wife is NHS frontline and has many gripes. What you post is right.

The Lemming 07 Apr 2020
In reply to bleddynmawr:

I would simply reply back

"F*ck off.

Patients first. When this is all over you can have all the stats you want.

Or, better still come down here and help me?"

I have already sent an Group email saying that I don't have the same time to read mail as office staff.

Funny enough I got a lot of praise from road staff and no complaints from management.

Don't let the bstards grind you down

Ian W 07 Apr 2020
In reply to bleddynmawr:

> I am managing an NHS ward. We have two confirmed covid cases who we are looking after with the bare minimum of PPE. I have 11 staff off sick at present, mostly covid related, some ill, and some isolating as they have crohn's, recovering from cancer, etc. Last Friday I was meant to have 6 nurses, but had 3 all day.

> So how am I supposed to feel when I get an email asking why we didn't get a particular KPI back in March. March, not now, for a patient that has since been discharged. The answer will take me time to find and will impact no-ones care. And the deadline is by "close of play". This doesn't feel like a game to me at the moment.

> I am writing this in the 10 mins that is my lunch hour. Did they really rearrange the deck chairs on the Titanic? People are isolated and working from home, and the beurocratic bean counting goes on.

> Why am I risking the health of my family and myself to be asked to do this nonsense? I already feel hugely guilty for increasing their risk.

> I'm not sure everyone realises the importance of focussing on what needs doing.

> As I said, having a crap day! Not asking for sympathy.

Reply promptly with an explanation, as deadpan as possible, as to why it is not priority number 1, briefly explain the things that you expect to happen regarding manpower etc and explain that it will be attended to once it is priority number 1. At least this will protect you a little when the admins forget about exactly what you are coping with at the moment and inevitably come back with retribution.

althesin 07 Apr 2020
In reply to bleddynmawr:

It is heroic being there, treating covid patients is facing up to more danger than most people will see in their lives, stuff the beurocracy.

DD72 07 Apr 2020
In reply to bleddynmawr:

Well that puts my crap day into perspective.

If it helps I'd say it might be worth remembering that the person who sent the email might not be aware of the pressure you are under and might be trying to be effective in their own way. 

If its useful rant here, take a breath and then gently reply that you do have a lot on your plate right now and you will get onto it as soon as you have the time.

It goes without saying. Thanks.

girlymonkey 07 Apr 2020
In reply to bleddynmawr:

What will happen if you just ignore the email? They presumably don't have the capacity to sack you? Just ignore it or have a stock email written for all such enquiries stating that since there is a global pandemic "in play" (to use their language), all non essential enquiries will be ignored until normal working practice is resumed (whenever that will be and whatever the new "normal" will look like!). Or tell them to come and replace your nurses for the time being while you deal with the paperwork!

MG 07 Apr 2020
In reply to bleddynmawr:

Sorry to hear this, which is totally shit management. 

If you replied with the text if your OP, that wouldn't be unreasonable, and would convey the practical, emotional and medical concerns well. 

DancingOnRock 07 Apr 2020
In reply to bleddynmawr:

Time for a creative Out of Office reply. 
One that conveys the full gravity of the situation without being rude and explains that you will reply to non-critical emails when the current situation is under control. 

Good luck. 

The Lemming 07 Apr 2020
In reply to bleddynmawr:

Feel sorry for the Police.

Just chatted to one at the traffic lights this very second.

They have been given one mask and told it is to last for six jobs

We are all just Canon Fodder.

Roadrunner6 07 Apr 2020
In reply to bleddynmawr:

I think just not losing it and getting pissed off and sending a very frank email is very good going.

Post edited at 14:20
 Sir Chasm 07 Apr 2020
In reply to bleddynmawr:

Delete it and don't give it another thought. Best wishes. 

nniff 07 Apr 2020
In reply to bleddynmawr:

Well done for keeping at it.  As suggested above I'd reply with something along the lines of,

'Thank you for your enquiry which has been assessed and prioritised. It will be processed further in accordance with its prioritisation.'

Love n hugs, bleddynmawr

The Lemming 07 Apr 2020
In reply to Sir Chasm:

> Delete it and don't give it another thought. Best wishes. 

Bean counters are like dogs with two dicks and have a perminant hardon for KPI and stats.

Rob Exile Ward 07 Apr 2020
In reply to bleddynmawr:

First off, unreserved admiration for the work you're doing. Those of us safely holed up can only imagine.

Second, what can anyone do realistically about you not providing the answer? I'd be tempted to create a standard reply and have it ready to fire off whenever appropriate.  'Thanks for your email, I'm afraid I am  not currently in a position to do anything at the moment that is not directly related to patient care or the current epidemic, for obvious reasons. I have noted your request and will respond appropriately when the situation is normalised. Thanks for your understanding regarding this, best wishes ...'

summo 07 Apr 2020
In reply to bleddynmawr:

I'd reply that you don't have time to type a reply, but would happily explain verbally if they visit face to face. 

Allovesclimbin 07 Apr 2020
In reply to bleddynmawr:

Incredible. I would follow the advice of a very quick e mail , adding it is a state of national emergency. Are you not in major incident status ? Our Trust is and I have to say are doing well in cutting the c***. 
From one front line clinician to another have a virtual hug and keep thinking of when it’s over 

Al

colinakmc 07 Apr 2020
In reply to bleddynmawr:

When this is finished there needs to be some very powerful feedback to the desktop generals and email obergruppenfuhrers who have become more & more disconnected while guzzling a bigger and bigger slice of the healthcare resource.

And maybe a suitable reply to your local hero (ironic) is to enquire why there isn’t sufficient ppe to keep frontline staff safe and able to come to their work. Adjectives optional.

You have my total respect & admiration for what you’re doing.

lithos 07 Apr 2020
In reply to bleddynmawr:

first off -hats off to you are yours, you dont need this sh*t in your life. easy to say ignore it.

second - fck em

third - is it possible its an automated reply from a piece of sh*t computer that should know better (AI my arse)?

fourth - send a simple short reply "Do you think this is a reasonable request right now."

fifth  - forward it to the BBC/Matt Hancock/Jeremry Hunt/CEO of your hospital/... suitably anonymised but that's a load of work !

Heike 07 Apr 2020
In reply to bleddynmawr:

Just tell them you will get back to them when this crisis is over. That is what I am saying to my bosses (not NHS - just uni) and they - the bosses have been strangely absent in replies and communication...Keep up the strength!!x

Post edited at 14:54
 wildebeeste 07 Apr 2020
In reply to bleddynmawr:

Best wishes from a US fire department. After weeks of phoney war it is starting to ramp up around here.  Fortunately we are blessed with a strong and active union. At yesterday’s Zoom meeting we all agreed that we know what’s essential and what’s not. HR trainings, pointless activity logs etc- yeah they’re not getting done anytime soon.

marsbar 07 Apr 2020
In reply to bleddynmawr:

Well done for not telling them to f*ck off.  

Whist I agree with those suggestions about sending a "not now don't be ridiculous" reply, the fact that anyone could possibly be oblivious enough to what is going on to send such nonsense is very annoying, and that they don't have anything  better to do right now beyond belief.  

I hope it helps to get it off your  chest. 

Thank you for what you do.  

NIGBEE 07 Apr 2020
In reply to bleddynmawr:

I know you are "Not asking for sympathy" but you have mine, and my thanks and understanding. 

Timmd 07 Apr 2020
In reply to bleddynmawr:

Replying along the lines of getting back to them when the crisis is over seems like a good suggestion. 

Post edited at 17:35
 Dax H 07 Apr 2020
In reply to bleddynmawr:

Tell them your a bit busy but if they come down they can go through the files. If / when they arrive bung a plastic pinny on them and point them at the patients. Even without clinics training I'm sure they can do something that will free up the more important staff. 

Keep up the good work and keep as safe as you can. 

Neil Williams 07 Apr 2020
In reply to bleddynmawr:

Keep up the good work, and don't let the paper-pushing b*stards grind you down.

Mr Lopez 07 Apr 2020
In reply to bleddynmawr:

Open that email again.

Press the 'forward' button.

Enter the address "bleddynmawr@dailymail.co.uk"

Copy your OP on it and head it with:

"Mr Bled, as discussed, this is the shit i'm having to deal with"

Click on "cc" and enter the email address of the person who sent you the email.

Lean back in your chair with a cup of tea and enjoy the fireworks.

Ridge 07 Apr 2020
In reply to bleddynmawr:

Firstly, thank you and all the other essential workers for the incredible job you're doing.

Although I'd be tempted to do the ''**** off" reply, the posters up thread have it right with the polite but firm automated response that due to the extraordinary cirmumstances patient and staff care issues are the only priority until the situation returns to normal.

Where I'd differ is with the "I'll respond to your query later" bit. I'd politely but firmly state that all non-essential emails will be deleted, and should be re-submitted (if still relevant) once the crisis is over. You can't be expected to plough through 19,000 trivial emails after all this is over.

Removed User 07 Apr 2020
In reply to bleddynmawr:

Been there done that.

It never fails to amaze me the number of point demanding emails sail through the system.

Once prior to an CQC inspection (okay it's important) we got the most patronising email from HR. I replied asking them to get off our backs, we know what we're doing. Within the hour the clinical nurse manager appeared on the ward. As I was working clinically I just fumed at them, even asking if they'd like to stay and help. Happy to say our ward got a very satisfactory report. 

As said above don't let the bastards grind you down. You're better than them!

Pete Pozman 07 Apr 2020
In reply to bleddynmawr:

It did occur to me that for all the retirees volunteering to return to service to help with the emergency, the NHS will have to appoint an extra cohort of managers to set them SMART targets. Otherwise how can performance management protocols be maintained. What a conundrum... 

Dave the Rave 07 Apr 2020
In reply to bleddynmawr:

Even more annoyingly, this number cruncher is probably working from home and looking for stuff to do.

Email back that you have some gloves for him if they care to help.

Stichtplate 07 Apr 2020
In reply to bleddynmawr:

> As I said, having a crap day! Not asking for sympathy.

You aren't asking for it but you have my whole hearted sympathy.

I've always hated dipping on any metrics, it goes against a longstanding desire to both stay under management's radar and also to have a good track record for the inevitable day when it comes to light that I've dropped a bollock.

However, exceptional times in the NHS and if, as your post suggests, you're both a capable and diligent employee working in a very high pressure environment, you have a remarkable amount of hidden leeway. So ignore the tw*t. Ignore the follow up email, the one after that and possibly the next one too. At which point you're going to be up to your ears in CV19, absent team members and life and death decisions. In short, you'll be under a shit load of pressure and will need a release that isn't going to damage anyone you live with, love or work closely with.

You now have the perfect outlet. Go nuclear on the prick. Let them have it with both barrels... explain that while they obviously have endless time on their hands to prattle on about pointless shite, you actually have a job to do that absorbs every shred of your time, patience empathy and professionalism and that their hounding of you in a time of national crisis is nothing less than petty minded harassment and wilful sabotage of an essential member of frontline staff. Inform him that you've put a datix in, informed your boss, their boss and your union rep.

mik82 07 Apr 2020
In reply to bleddynmawr:

I'm a front line health professional. To be honest, I'd completely ignore the email and if they send a follow-up invite them up to the ward to discuss. Everything is Covid-19 now.

Post edited at 20:17
 The Lemming 07 Apr 2020
In reply to Pete Pozman:

> It did occur to me that for all the retirees volunteering to return to service to help with the emergency, the NHS will have to appoint an extra cohort of managers to set them SMART targets.

The retirees are the real heroes in my opinion. They've done thir time at the coalface and survived to retirement age without being medically retired or worked to death, physically not metaphorically.

And to then return to an employer that has no PPE fit for purpose to give them when they are at an age which makes them very susceptible to the worst that Covid can throw at them is tantamount to Corporate manslaughter.

OTT?

Two of my colleagues are off work with confirmed Covid. Not funny

mick taylor 07 Apr 2020
In reply to bleddynmawr:

You’ve now got 84 people who will, in a virtual reality sense, hold your jacket whilst you give them shit.

Plenty of advice and support.  I’d personally tell me ‘tae get tae f*ck’ (I’m an adopted Glaswegian).

abr1966 07 Apr 2020
In reply to bleddynmawr:

Really sorry to hear this and a big thankyou for all you and your staff are doing.

I also work in the NHS...im a clinical lead but had many roles as a clinical, service and directorate manager in the past.

F##k the bean counters at this time....nobody will be out to get at you after this situation has passed!! I had an email today demanding performance figures, took me a big effort not to reply with a big f##k off. Look after you patients, staff and self by following what you know is right and please keep shouting very loud about the need for PPE and guidance from your IPT in its safe use.

Happy to support you in whatever way I can via here or private message...cheers ABR

OP bleddynmawr 08 Apr 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

Thanks everyone,

As ever knowing that I'm not alone in this is the most important thing. I have had a better nights sleep and feel a bit stronger today. I will just continue to prioritise what's in front of me.

marsbar 08 Apr 2020
In reply to bleddynmawr:

Hope today is better. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...