Highlands - how welcome are tourists

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RMcB 15 Oct 2020

Highlands

How welcome do you feel if you are a tourist?

White dykes near Kyle gave me a lovely and unexpected  afternoon and suspect most on  this forum would be welcoming to all.

girlymonkey 15 Oct 2020
In reply to RMcB:

Probably depends what you are going to do. Tourists dirty camping are likely to be pretty unwelcome! Those leaving no trace are likely to be ok... until our travel restrictions come in!

OP RMcB 15 Oct 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

Get that-certainly holds true in the area where we live and kind of falls into the category of normal decent behaviour.

suppose should clarify   _ we have felt , from a minority ,a certain antipathy.

In reply to RMcB:

> White dykes near Kyle gave me a lovely and unexpected  afternoon

Erm.... what?

In reply to captain paranoia:

> > White dykes near Kyle gave me a lovely and unexpected  afternoon

> Erm.... what?

Maybe https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/the_white_dyke-2369 ?

OP RMcB 16 Oct 2020
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

Yes thanks white dyke near plockton!

In reply to RMcB:

Have a look at NC500 The Land Weeps FB page. It really highlights the probems of those small communities that are overwhelmed with campervans and 'wild campers' but lack the infrastructure and facilities needed to support large scale tourist ventures like the nc500. 

Half the campsites and public toilets are closed. Council services aren't able to respond just now which hasn't helped. Meanwhile visitor numbers are through the roof.  Not really surprised that you've encountered some antipathy. 

In reply to becauseitsthere:

Visitor numbers in the Gairloch area are down overall for August and September. The only significant increase us in number of camper vans, but that is a trend which has beeñ going  on for years. I drove from Gairloch to Kintail yesterday to go hillwalking. Roads are now getting much quieter. I met no one on the ridge from Sgurr nan Saighead to Sgurr na Carnach. The  "Highlands" is a very big place with lots of localised differences.  Virtually no overseas tourists this year. I,ve been on the hills every few days in the north West and encountered very few people on most occasions. Provided tourists follow the rules _ which the vast majority  appear to do, I as a"Highlander" have no problem  with them . 

OP RMcB 18 Oct 2020
In reply to The Watch of Barrisdale:

Thanks for responses and understood.

Much already said about all the lockdown / crowding and how to look after our hills and don't think I can usefully contribute! 

As usual 99% of people were friendly during our stay and look forward to being back over the winter ( responsibly and travel restrictions permitting)

-

Jim Fraser 18 Oct 2020
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

That was meant to be a secret. Thanks Jamie!

DaveHK 18 Oct 2020
In reply to RMcB:

Pretty much as usual really. Most folks ok with varying degrees of tourism and some people properly anti it. Plus ca change.

Bulls Crack 19 Oct 2020
In reply to RMcB:

Having just spent a wonderful few days in Torridon businesses  seemed very happy for me to spend my money there - and probably turned a blind-eye to me travelling through the Central Belt. 

Tringa 20 Oct 2020
In reply to Bulls Crack:

> Having just spent a wonderful few days in Torridon businesses  seemed very happy for me to spend my money there - and probably turned a blind-eye to me travelling through the Central Belt. 

Did you need to go to Torridon?

It is not law but the Scottish Government have asked people to think

"... whether you need to travel, especially if you live in, or would be travelling to or through, the Central Belt."

Dave

DaveHK 20 Oct 2020
In reply to Tringa:

> Did you need to go to Torridon?

> It is not law but the Scottish Government have asked people to think

> "... whether you need to travel, especially if you live in, or would be travelling to or through, the Central Belt."

> Dave

In the briefings NS was very clear that people who had accommodation booked wouldn't be expected to cancel it.

DaveHK 20 Oct 2020
In reply to RMcB:

I've had a strong feeling of the Highlands emptying this week. I live in Inverness and had 5 days in Assynt last week and it was noticeably quieter by Sunday. Although there could be another wave on the way with English half term it might be a bit less with all the local restrictions.

In reply to DaveHK:

You are quite right. As  I said earlier the Gairloch area is noticeably quieter. Any tourists I encounter are acting responsibly wherever they come from.  Number of people out in the hills has dropped markedly. Most hillwalkers/climbers are long accustomed to social distancing.. Slainte Mhath to you all.

Removed User 20 Oct 2020
In reply to Tringa:

Currently on Arran where its very quiet. Came via the ferry from Tarbet. We're in a B&B which we have to ourselves. The owner is glad of the business. They've had numerous cancellations because of worries and misunderstandings of the restrictions. Obviously no pubs or restaurants open but had a couple very high quality take aways. Just need the weather to buck up!

Fat Bumbly2 20 Oct 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

Last week it was pretty busy around Rannoch, mostly visitors from England.  Feels very quiet now in Easter Ross, maybe it is the endless rain?

Never seen so many cars in the usual A9 hill bashing places as there were on Sunday.

henwardian 20 Oct 2020
In reply to Jim Fraser:

> That was meant to be a secret. Thanks Jamie!

Really? Isn't it in the guidebook too? Even besides that, it's a) miles from anywhere with living people and b) totally underwhelming. I would be nothing short of stunned if it started to become crowded!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...