Garage doors advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 running123 17 Dec 2023

Hi all,

We are looking to replace our garage door to a roller garage door and we have had some quotes. I was looking to see whether anyone had any experience of Hormann or SeceuroGlide roller garage doors please?

Many thanks!

Fiona Reid 17 Dec 2023
In reply to running123:

Only advice I can offer is don't forget it's a roller door and leave the key in the lock when you roll it up. I learned the hard way and getting new locks and mechanism fitted ain't cheap!

In reply to running123:

Certainly consider buying a Hormann.

My Hormann garage door, not a roller one, but traditional one piece up and over, still going strong - 25yrs old.

I was going to replace due to needing some maintenance. However, a local Hormann stockist business told me not to. Every possible part that could wear/need replacing they explained were still manufactured and available. They recommended only to replace the parts needed than spend money on a new door! I would not see any difference in quality/benefit* with a new one.

Might be more expensive than some other doors, but 25 yrs and parts still available says a lot.

* Exception would be if upgrade was to an insulated version, fancy factory painted versions or whatever, but I didn’t need any of that for my garage.

GEd_83 17 Dec 2023
In reply to running123:

We had a Hormann fitted 12 months ago to replace a useless up and over door. I initially wanted a roller, but we went for a sectional in the end (after getting quotes for both), and it was definitely the right decision. I think sectional doors are better unless you need the extra space that a roller gives you. But anyway, it's only been 12 months but it's good quality, and we've had no issues, so would recommend as a brand.

Post edited at 19:11
 wbo2 17 Dec 2023
In reply to running123:

I have Hormann sectional double garage doors.  A couple of years ago the paint started peeling , and then falling off in big chunks on the 9 year old double doors.  I approached Hormann for a paint recommendation to repaint them but they simply said that wasn't needed, still in guarantee and changed the doors for new. 

Defininte thumbs up from me

deacondeacon 17 Dec 2023
In reply to running123:

I was a garage door fitter 20 years ago in Cornwall. When I go back to visit I still see Hormann garage doors that I fitted, looking as good as new. Great doors.

CameronDuff14 19 Dec 2023
In reply to running123:

We have a hormann roll door, for probably coming up on a decade. Never had a problem with it and have never had to mess with it at all... Though the springs probably need replacing thinking about it...

DizzyT 19 Dec 2023
In reply to running123:

I fitted two Securoglide sectionals 5 years ago and have had no major issues. Niggles are rain gets driven in at the base but this was sorted with a Stormguard strip (garage is very exposed on a hillside). Opening is only electric with no external handles.

OP running123 19 Dec 2023
In reply to running123:

Thanks all for your input and advice, lots of things to consider

Definitely sounds like the Hormann doors last a long time!

It would definitely need to be a roller door as we would need the space. We are converting the garage into a gym so will be storing quite a bit of kit in there so concerned about the security aspect but also the insulation/draught proofing. Do you find the Hormann roller doors good for this? Looking at the SeceuroGlide Excel version they have steel locking bottom slats which looks good for security but comes at a premium of ~£1950 compared to the Hormann's ~£1600.

Thanks again for everyone's comments, really appreciate it!

AndyC 19 Dec 2023
In reply to running123:

Securoglide roller door fitted in 2017 seems to be undergoing unplanned disassembly. Two vertical fibre strops glued and screwed to the panels are coming away. The screws have ripped out of the aluminum leaving ragged holes. Doesn’t look good. Got the supplier coming round to take a look. 

flatlandrich 19 Dec 2023
In reply to running123:

I've had a SeceuroGlide roller door for about ten years. It still looks good despite facing North and getting the worst of the weather.  

I have had a few electronic problems with it but they now use a completely different system so hopefully they've made improvements there. Also, to be fair, I've forgotten the ladder was on the roof rack of the van on more than one occasion and backed into the door when its been in the up position. Despite some dents and partially forcing the door out of the runners, it hasn't broken. So, from a security point of view, a brute force entry is going to be unlikely. 

In reply to running123:

+1 for Hormann garage doors. I had a sectional one fitted and it is faultless.

Avoid Crocodile, poor product with 80s double glazing style sales techniques. Incessant pestering, talking to.the manager, have a team in the area on Tuesday etc.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...