Foraged stuff

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bottom Clinger 10 Aug 2021

Some grass verge foraging this morning. Plums, delicious. There’s nearly enough for nearly 2 gallons on wine. The rest are out of each, so the litter picker will be dusted down. Picked a pound or so of blackberries as well. 
Anyone else ?

squarepeg 10 Aug 2021
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

There's a plum tree in the garden, planted itself. Not sure what sort, it's groaning with ripe plums now, some of them I can reach.

Suppose I ought to do some thing with them. 

Lankyman 10 Aug 2021

Amazing how much faster things come into season down in the far south. I've yet to see anything other than green bullet blackberries up here. I imagine in Scotland it's still 2020.

BusyLizzie 10 Aug 2021

Blackberries just getting ripe in Reading, but higher up in the Chilterns where I run they'll be slower. Last year I found a damson tree, when it was just too late, so this year am watching it like a hawk.

Dan Arkle 10 Aug 2021

Mushroom season has started in the Peak.

Here is a Tawny Grisette that I didn't eat.

steve taylor 11 Aug 2021

Blackberries, sloes and figs on the daily dog walk...

In France...

timjones 11 Aug 2021

Whilst blackberries can be foraged, plums are more likely to qualify as scrumping

Flinticus 11 Aug 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

In fact we're picking last year's crop now.

Fiona Reid 12 Aug 2021

We picked loads of wild raspberries and blackcurrants over the last few weeks making jam, compote plus a good amount just eaten straight or on top of porridge in the morning. 

Lots of blaeberries on the hills recently and our first brambles (blackberry) last night from south facing bushes. Most others in Scotland are still green/red bullets but those facing south are starting to ripen and wow are they good after all the sunny weather 😀

Several good hauls of chanterelle mushrooms from the local forest so far and plenty more to go at.

Plums and quince will be picked once ready - a relatives garden supplies these and we can help ourselves in return for making some jam/puddings etc 😀. 

In reply to Fiona Reid:

Good stuff. I’ve got seven gallons elderflower sparkley to bottle soon. 

bridgstarr 12 Aug 2021

Mines been bottled and drunk. It was a bit of a flop. Ferment didn't go far enough. Probably as a result of being a cheapskate and using baker's yeast. It was more alcopop than champagne. Nice enough though

Fozzy 12 Aug 2021

Blackberries are just about ready here, ans I plan on harvesting a fair few next week. Apart from that, I’ve had a rather tasty giant puffball this week, and a roe buck was found and inserted into my freezer. 

Fiona Reid 12 Aug 2021

Ooh, forgot about them. I've made 6 bottles of elderflower cordial and 2 of meadowsweet cordial. All in the freezer so I can use them for a nice summery hot drink in the cooler months.

Plus meadowsweet vodka that's ready and blackcurrant vodka that will be another few months infusing. 

Lankyman 15 Aug 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

> Amazing how much faster things come into season down in the far south. I've yet to see anything other than green bullet blackberries up here. I imagine in Scotland it's still 2020.

Just walking in the fields on the edge of Bowland and have come across the first edible (just!) blackberries. Usually the end berry of the bunch and seemingly just on west/south-facing hedgerows. I think it'll be another week or two before I bother picking any significant numbers, weather depending?

skog 15 Aug 2021

Plenty of horse mushrooms coming up in the Durness area last week, just a few at the start of the week, vast numbers by the end.

As there are lots of young ones they aren't very maggotty - but they're a bit blander than normal (these two things may be related, but I don't want to think about that..!)

We've also had plenty of wild blueberries and raspberries from various places, and some sorrel on Iona - where there's also plenty of rapidly-maturing whale meat, if you're really hungry...

skog 15 Aug 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

> Amazing how much faster things come into season down in the far south. I've yet to see anything other than green bullet blackberries up here. I imagine in Scotland it's still 2020.

Not forage, but our apple tree failed to flower this year after the cold spring, and our pear tree produced a handful of small pears that something (squirrels?) nicked; our plum tree has two plums on it, and our cherry trees produced about twenty cherries in total. The last few warm humid weeks have been amazing for growth (and rot), but it was a really hard start to the year.

skog 15 Aug 2021

... munching on wild cobnuts right now. 🙂

Lankyman 15 Aug 2021
In reply to skog:

> Not forage, but our apple tree failed to flower this year after the cold spring, and our pear tree produced a handful of small pears that something (squirrels?) nicked; our plum tree has two plums on it, and our cherry trees produced about twenty cherries in total. The last few warm humid weeks have been amazing for growth (and rot), but it was a really hard start to the year.

That's interesting what you say about the fruit. I have two dwarf apple trees in big pots which have produced lots of small, but edible apples the last two years. This year - one apple on one, none on the other. Out and about I've seen quite a few cherry trees in woodland but can't recall a single cherry. I know of quite a few 'wild' damson trees and often go and 'liberate' a tupperware box or so in the season. It will be interesting to see how they've fared.

In reply to Lankyman:

Next door neighbour has a plum tree. He says some plums have ripened and rotted  whilst others are bullet hard - on the same branch. We’ve had crazy weather. V cold April into May, roasting hot June into July but wet thereafter. 
Anyway, picked more blackberries this morning. Last year got over 35 pounds. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...