Euro car insurance advice plz !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 riff156 26 Oct 2023

Hi all, 

I'm off to Portugal soon to visit a friend and she has offered to lend me her campervan for a day or two, I'm wondering about insurance, apparently in Portugal the vehicle is insured and not the driver I'm not sure if that covers me as a visitor or whether I have to get ins from here to cover me and if so any tips on where, I have tried one of the 3rd party companies that do the extra insurance for when you hire a car but they couldn't help or even advise anyone, any ideas folks? 🙂

Thanks 

jimtitt 26 Oct 2023
In reply to riff156:

In a lot of Europe (maybe all) it is the car that is insured not the driver, we borrow each others cars on a regular basis, I've even used a truck a couple of times.

DamonRoberts 27 Oct 2023
In reply to riff156:

You'd likely be covered on her insurance, she'd need to check her policy, or if you'd like your own cover you would need to contact a Portuguese insurance company and get temp cover from them. Best bet is to not crash! 

99.9% sure you won't find a UK insurer that will offer cover on a non-UK vehicle outside the UK. 

Post edited at 07:59
OP riff156 27 Oct 2023
In reply to riff156:

OK cheers to both if you 👍 

bigbobbyking 27 Oct 2023
In reply to riff156:

As an aside does anyone know why this is the norm in Europe? I assume it must be a regulatory requirement as the driver must be one of the big risk factors.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...