Emoji's from antiquity

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 broken spectre 24 Oct 2023

Some lovely examples of "ancient" stone carvings here (ancient in inverted commas because they're reportedly only 1 to 2 thousand years old, although they'd be physically and culturally separated from Western influence at this time). Behold, some emoji's - Old skool...

I like the Cubist looking one.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-67204409

Welsh Kate 24 Oct 2023
In reply to broken spectre:

I love the timelessness of some of these things, though my examples are part of Western influence - a couple from Hadrian's Wall showing that some things never change.

https://romaninscriptionsofbritain.org/inscriptions/872

https://romaninscriptionsofbritain.org/inscriptions/1008

In reply to Welsh Kate:

"The phallus of Marcus Septimius" transcending time itself.

Welsh Kate 24 Oct 2023
In reply to broken spectre:

Indeed. In Roman culture, being remembered 50 or so years after your death was an ambition for some. I doubt Marcus Septimius ever thought he and his phallus would be remembered some 1900 years later!

Lankyman 24 Oct 2023
In reply to Welsh Kate:

I've tried looking for the Gelt inscriptions before on occasion but never seen them. It's a lovely section of river and some of the big sandstone quarries are impressive. I've seen several Roman willies on Hadrian's Wall and there's a big one in Vindolanda Quarry which is pretty obvious.

Lankyman 25 Oct 2023
In reply to Welsh Kate:

Has anyone worked out what cup and ring markings mean yet? I've seen them in different parts of Britain so I suppose they must have meant something to large parts of the population back then.

wercat 26 Oct 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

Early representations of Black Holes.  Amazing what the ancients knew (source - von Daniken)

Lankyman 26 Oct 2023
In reply to wercat:

> Early representations of Black Holes.  Amazing what the ancients knew (source - von Daniken)

You've been watching too many episodes of Ancient Aliens.

wercat 27 Oct 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

please!  I read the original von Daniken books in the 1970s when they were doing the rounds at school! Respect the source!

One of the Sunday scumsheets had the headline "Was God an Astronaut" running for a while

Post edited at 09:33
 Lankyman 27 Oct 2023
In reply to wercat:

Yes, I too remember the press coverage Von Daniken got back then. Pretty soon, actual archaeologists and historians pointed out the gaping chasms in his claims. The presence of things like 'Ancient Aliens' today shows that there are still droves of people who believe this kind of thing without critical analysis. I did actually buy some of Von Daniken's books as a kid but soon realised what a con artist he was.

deepsoup 27 Oct 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

> The presence of things like 'Ancient Aliens' today shows that there are still droves of people who believe this kind of thing without critical analysis.

It seems very tame and reassuringly harmless by modern standards of what droves of people believe without critical analysis.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...