Curious Crayfish

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Luke90 10 Sep 2023

As a bit of a wildlife dunce, I didn't even know that Crayfish lived in the UK so I was slightly astonished when my partner said she'd spotted one during a post-climb dip in Wolfscote Dale yesterday. But there it was, and it turned out to be a curious little critter. I thought it would scarper as soon as I approached but it held its ground and even gave an outstretched finger a very thorough inspection for edibility. A full hand reaching for it did scare it off but it soon returned, brought a friend along as well and even clambered onto my foot?

Can anyone identify the species? Google tells me we do have a native variety that's now largely supplanted by American imports. Photography not exactly up to UKC's usual standards but hopefully interesting anyway.

Paul at work 10 Sep 2023
In reply to Luke90:

Its a signal crayfish, an invasive species. 

jbrom 10 Sep 2023
In reply to Luke90:

Notoriously difficult to ID the difference between native and non-native species, particularly before they reach full size. The underside of the claw is probably the easiest indicator. Size is a less reliable way of distinguishing species, native White-clawed tend to be a bit smaller when fully grown.

Careful regarding taking from the water as there are particular laws around taking/releasing non native species.

Helpful sheet from buglife here; https://cdn.buglife.org.uk/2019/07/Final-Crayfish-ID-distribution-and-Legis...

Paul at work 10 Sep 2023
In reply to jbrom:

Its pretty straight forward to identify Signal Crayfish over White Clawed Crayfish. 

For a signal crayfish - the key bits are the white patch near the finger joint and the size of the claws compared to the body size. and the smooth body and claws.

OP Luke90 10 Sep 2023
In reply to Paul at work:

That's a shame, but it did seem likely. Thanks for the identification. Still pleased to have seen them and learned a little bit.

OP Luke90 10 Sep 2023
In reply to jbrom:

> Notoriously difficult to ID the difference between native and non-native species, particularly before they reach full size.

Kind of you to say so, because I had found an identification guide on Google and still wasn't totally sure.

> The underside of the claw is probably the easiest indicator.

He wasn't keen on having the underside of his claw examined and I didn't want to disturb it too much.

> Careful regarding taking from the water as there are particular laws around taking/releasing non native species.

Not gonna lie, we did briefly ponder a side of crayfish with dinner, but decided it might not be a good idea.

Moacs 10 Sep 2023
In reply to Luke90:

You have weird ankles 

OP Luke90 10 Sep 2023
In reply to Moacs:

If you think my ankles are weird, you should see my face.

Rob Parsons 12 Sep 2023
In reply to Luke90:

> If you think my ankles are weird, you should see my face.

Go on then; I'm intrigued.

OP Luke90 12 Sep 2023
In reply to Rob Parsons:

I was just being generically flippant in response to an odd comment. My face is pretty unremarkable and I'm not inclined to share a portrait. Sorry to disappoint.

Bobling 12 Sep 2023
In reply to Luke90:

It's a pretty good size from the photo with it perched on your shoe!

Whilst walking down the river Mells near Frome (rhymes with zoom) I came across a little camp fire with the remains of several crayfish to one side, I looked into getting a permit to fish/pot for Signals but never got round to it.  

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...