Crooked developers and builders.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 veteye 27 Feb 2024

Did I hear aright?

Is the pub going to be built again, brick by brick?

That's great if it is!

In reply to veteye:

Believe it when you see it. Bankruptcy hearing far more likely.

Ridge 27 Feb 2024
In reply to Longsufferingropeholder:

> Believe it when you see it. Bankruptcy hearing far more likely.

Agree. There's no way they'll comply.

wintertree 27 Feb 2024
In reply to veteye:

Whilst I doubt it will ever be rebuilt as it was, I am curious about the legalities.

If rebuilt, surely it would have to comply with modern buildings regulations?  This would seem to be challenging.

Post edited at 22:38
OP veteye 27 Feb 2024
In reply to wintertree:

> Whilst I doubt it will ever be rebuilt as it was,

Presumably to get close, previous staff and regulars would have to donate pictures of various parts of internal and external structure, then have a volunteer group w some AI graphic knowledge, collate the variously dispersed images into some more exact plan of the almost brick by brick architecture.

Mark Kemball 27 Feb 2024
In reply to veteye:

I was very sad and more than a little angry when I heard of the pub’s demise. Only visited it a few times, but it was a very special place. 

NobleStone 28 Feb 2024
In reply to veteye:

The people who unlawfully demolished the pub after it mysteriously burnt down (with carefully dumped piles of soil to stop fire engines getting close), have been ordered to rebuilt it. That doesn't mean it's actually going to happen. To be honest I'd be surprised if it was rebuilt, particularly by the present owners, but these things have happened before. That pub in Maida Vale springs to mind:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2021/mar/21/rising-from-the-rubble... 

MG 28 Feb 2024
In reply to wintertree:

Think I am right in saying repairs don't come under Building Regs. Not sure how elastic that term is!

Neil Williams 28 Feb 2024
In reply to Longsufferingropeholder:

It's happened before, there was one in London that was rebuilt brick by brick.

It isn't very useful there, though, which was why it closed.  Pity it couldn't be relocated somewhere sensible.

Post edited at 10:06
 wintertree 28 Feb 2024
In reply to MG:

> Think I am right in saying repairs don't come under Building Regs. Not sure how elastic that term is!

If it was an insurance job, it’d be a rebuild not a repair.

Reading more stories on it I’m annoyed at the reporting saying the order is on the “owners”.  It’s on a small limited company which will no doubt turn out to have empty pockets by the time any enforcement happens.  Unless criminal charges are brought against a company director, the financial liability dies with that particular company.  Be interesting to see who the company sells the plot too.

If the building plot turns out to be worth more than the wonky building, there’s always the proceeds of crime act.

Post edited at 11:04
In reply to Neil Williams:

You don’t say which pub in London you mean, but the famously rebuilt Carlton Tavern in Maida Vale is doing fine unless something has happened pretty recently.

jcm

montyjohn 28 Feb 2024
In reply to veteye:

What I don't understand about this story is why the plot would be worth more than the pub. 

It's so obvious the crime though, mounds of soil blocking fire engines, fire a week or so after buying it, demolished 24 hours later. At least wait 6 months before starting the fire.

And then there's her fella who's director of a company who's landfill site went up in flames.

Rotten bit of luck with fires the pair of them.

elsewhere 28 Feb 2024
In reply to montyjohn:

> What I don't understand about this story is why the plot would be worth more than the pub. 

A loss making or not very successful pub generating not much rental income or uncertain profit in the long term vs short term large payout by selling for housing or other development.

Jimbo C 28 Feb 2024
In reply to veteye:

This story has really surprised me how strongly lots of people feel about a wonky building. Even people who would never have been aware of it. I'm equally surprised at the lengths some people will go to try and avoid the planning process.

Mark Kemball 28 Feb 2024
In reply to Jimbo C:

Did you ever visit it? You walked into one big optical illusion. The bar appeared to slope down one way, and bottles would roll “up” it the other way. Walking around was tricky even when sober. 

Jimbo C 28 Feb 2024
In reply to Mark Kemball:

No I didn't. Never knew of it. I understand it being special for those who have but was surprised by the wider appeal and longevity of the story. 

Mark Kemball 28 Feb 2024
In reply to Jimbo C:

I hadn’t been there for over 30 years, but I’m originally from the area. 

elsewhere 29 Feb 2024
In reply to Jimbo C:

> This story has really surprised me how strongly lots of people feel about a wonky building. Even people who would never have been aware of it.

People generally recognise the world is a poorer place if the interesting places of local significance are destroyed.

Plus many will be aware of the issue and dislike convenient fires or demolitions from what's happened in their own locality.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...