Close up of a Kestrel. Real close up!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bottom Clinger 20 Jun 2021

Saw a bloke his morning looking a bit panicky. He had found a kestrel floundering in the wet grass so picked it up. I said ‘I’m happy to look after it’, which he was very relieved at. So I covered it’s head with my Pertex  jacket to get it to calm down. Gave it a check - it was an adult, no obvious injuries. Reckoned it may have flown into an overhead cable and just needed a rest. Twenty mins later it flew off. Well cool. 

Post edited at 11:04

Removed User 20 Jun 2021
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

That's cool, not many people ever get that close up to them. Incredible creatures.

Everything about birds is cool. I'm forever stunned that we are separated by 600million years of evolution, yet we can communicate so intimately when the situation allows.

BusyLizzie 20 Jun 2021

Amazing, well done!

girlymonkey 20 Jun 2021

That's so cool! I had one flying below us when we stopped for a breather at the top of a crag and tail in Stirling. I hadn't seen one there before but to be looking down in it was even cooler 🙂

I would be a bit unsure of picking up a bird that was maybe injured though, I would be worried about hurting it. I have no experience at all of handling birds. Well done for being able to do it!

mrphilipoldham 20 Jun 2021
In reply to Bottom Clinger

Had the same with a siskin in our garden. Had a knock on my shed door, it was the cleaner who was just leaving and she said "I'm off but can I Ieave this with you?" then thrust this soggy yellow ball in to my hands. Let him dry off in a box inside then put him out in the hedge on an old bird table and a few minutes later he was gone. I'd never once seen a siskin locally before that, so nice to have one as a garden tick and do my good deed for the day

Post edited at 13:06
 Lankyman 20 Jun 2021

Well done. Most of my animal rescue has been sheep stuck in holes or on ledges. Sadly, I've had to despatch a bird or two because of injury. One was a grouse which somehow had squeezed into one of those horrible spring traps for weasels. Its leg was broken.

Flinticus 20 Jun 2021

Way cool!

NathanP 20 Jun 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

Horrible having to do that. I one had to with a pigeon with a semi-detached head. Not a nice experience.

Dax H 20 Jun 2021

Very glad you managed to help it. All animals are precious (even the ones I happily eat) but birds of prey are very special. 

If you didn't do a Billy Casper impression whilst holding it then that's surely an opportunity squandered.  

In reply to Boris\'s Johnson:

I would have loved to swing from the crossbar of a goal post, but all the Scottish football fans had pulled them down !

Rog Wilko 21 Jun 2021

Nice good news story. Reminded me that about a month ago I came upon a male sparrow hawk just standing in the corner of a rural car park. Didn’t look damaged at all, just a bit stunned as if it had flown into something. I decided to leave as it was fairly safe where it was and when I came back it had gone. Made my day!

I had a less happy experience last Friday.

Travelling on the M4, I saw a bird fly up from the car in front, and then drop into the central reservation.

Whilst it obviously happened very quickly, travelling at 70mph, it seemed to happen in slow motion, seeing the bird spiral unnaturally, with a couple of feathers in its wake. I'm pretty sure it was a kestrel.

wercat 21 Jun 2021

Aww, there was I hoping to see a P1127!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...