climbing and knee replacement

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dave Mountford 29 Feb 2024

Hi i have been advised i need both knees replacing - has anyone any recent experience of this and impact on rock climbing - there are a couple of old posts going back to 2013 - it would be great  to see if anyone has or has heard of recent experience ?

Many thanks 

Dave 

Neil Henson 29 Feb 2024
In reply to Dave Mountford:

Not a knee replacement, but I did have a hip replacement in 2022. I wrote an article about it on here around January 2023. Would be happy to share my experiences with you, if not entirely what you were after. 

SATTY 29 Feb 2024

what age are you

i had both done and told by surgeon( a rock climber)not to climb ladders or play golf, so climbing stopped,cant risk falling off and banging knee on the rock with any impact as could damage the replacement joint

Robert Durran 29 Feb 2024

You have probably read the thread on this that I started not all that long ago. Lots of people climb perfectly ok with replacements but it seems there will always be a question mark over how much flex you will end up with in the joint (I get the impression that surgeons will be understandably cautious in their predictions). 

Having seen a surgeon, I have, on his advice, been using painkillers to keep pretty active in the hills, knowing that I can get them done when they become too restrictive. I have learnt to manage them pretty well. It seems important for a good recovery to get them done while still fit and strong, not after becoming inactive for an extended period, so a tricky balance.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...