Camera repair - is it worth it/likely cost?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LastBoyScout 13 Sep 2023

I've got a Panasonic TZ30 digital compact camera which is working perfectly fine, except for 1 issue.

It seems to have developed a small, fuzzy shadow just off-centre of any pictures taken with it - only really noticeable on shots with a plain background to most people, but if you know what you're looking for, then it's noticeable on other pictures, too.

The camera is about 10 years old, so I suspect it's somehow got a bit of dirt in the lens - I don't "think" it's an issue with the image sensor.

Normally, I'd just shrug, write it off against age and buy a newer replacement, but I've got a full model-specific dive housing for this one, which wouldn't be cheap to also replace.

Anyone got any idea on how much it might be to have it cleaned / whether it really is worth it and I should bite the bullet and get a new one?

I do now also have a Nikon Coolpix W300, which is an underwater camera, but it doesn't have the depth, optical zoom and a couple of other things that the Panasonic does.

TIA

Toerag 13 Sep 2023
In reply to LastBoyScout:

What about getting a secondhand one off ebay or such? There will be plenty of perfectly good ones out there at low value due to modern cameras being better and the bottom falling out of the market due to smartphones.

Jon Read 13 Sep 2023

Sounds like dust on the sensor. If you set the aperture (put it in A mode, and you should be able to alter the f value) to as high as you can, and take a picture of plain white wall, does it show up really clearly?

Edit to add: I presume you've given the lens a good wipe?

Post edited at 15:37
 Robert Durran 13 Sep 2023
In reply to Jon Read:

> Sounds like dust on the sensor. If you set the aperture (put it in A mode, and you should be able to alter the f value) to as high as you can, and take a picture of plain white wall, does it show up really clearly?

I agree it sounds like the sensor. As a matter of interest, why the high f number?

Jon Read 13 Sep 2023
In reply to Robert Durran:

Simple, you get a better picture of the dust and hairs!

https://exposureworks.co.uk/sensor-dust-and-dirt/

OP LastBoyScout 13 Sep 2023
In reply to Toerag:

> What about getting a secondhand one off ebay or such? There will be plenty of perfectly good ones out there at low value due to modern cameras being better and the bottom falling out of the market due to smartphones.

Since posting, someone else has made that suggestion. I'll look around, but I figured it's an old model, so not many left around.

Bottom Clinger 14 Sep 2023

There’s loads of second hand ones. Buy one, then why not experiment cleaning the sensor of your old one?  Possible total failure, but nothing to loose. A total fiddle to get to the sensor, but you can by swab cleaning kits very cheaply. 

veteye 14 Sep 2023
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

I know that I'll get shot down... but you mean "buy swab cleaning kits".

Bottom Clinger 14 Sep 2023
In reply to veteye:

Yup. Cheap as chops. 

ed. I meant chips. 

Post edited at 07:33
 Toerag 14 Sep 2023

Set up a saved search for TZ30 and the equivalent designation in other jurisdictions so you get notified the moment one is listed.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...