Best glue to fix cracked electric shower dial?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 elliot.baker 19 Jan 2019

The power dial of the shower has cracked so I can't turn it on anymore!

I prised the dial off and basically the back of the dial is a plastic circular hole with a flat top, this has cracked so it just spins around the plastic peg of the same shape that it sits inside.

I figure I can fix the whole thing by just glueing the cracked dial's hole back onto it's peg on the inside, does anyone know what the best type of glue would be? I understand different types of plastic need different types of glue so I didn't know if super glue would do it? or I have a glue gun would that do the trick?

Cheers for any advice folks.

Alternative is buying and getting fitted a whole new shower, they don't make that replacement part anymore.

rogersavery 19 Jan 2019
In reply to elliot.baker:

2 part Epoxy

Post edited at 22:35
 Oceanrower 19 Jan 2019

The size of the spindle is pretty much standard so you should be able to use a knob from pretty much anything. Gas cooker, fan heater etc.

Rick Graham 19 Jan 2019

I put a jubilee clip round mine when it cracked.Glueing as well for belt and braces won't do any harm.
OP elliot.baker 19 Jan 2019
In reply to Rick Graham:

hmm... I like the idea but I'm not sure how I could do this - can you unscrew the front cover of the shower? Even if I could do that I'm not sure if I could clip the dial round the spindle and then reattach the cover (because the dial has to go through the cover...)

In reply to Oceanrower:

haha the first website has 1,700 electromechanical knobs and dials on, all looking vaguely familiar! so I like the idea but not sure about the practicality, especially of finding one that has the correct waterproof rubber seal.

In reply to rogersavery:

will investigate this thanks

Rick Graham 19 Jan 2019

Just taken a photo of the repair .

I did not use a jubilee clip, it was a short length of  15mm copper pipe and some insulation tape .

I will try to send photo via email user.

Edit. not working 

Send me your email address somehow, I will send it direct,  tomorrow.

Post edited at 23:04
 marsbar 20 Jan 2019

You could use a little piece of wood to jam it back on.  Maybe a cocktail stick would work if you cut a piece off. 

Tringa 20 Jan 2019
In reply to Rick Graham:

Try googling spares for whatever the make and model of your shower is.

Dave

Rick Graham 20 Jan 2019
In reply to Tringa:

I did that to buy  this replacement shower unit that has now got a broken knob (happened to unit #1also).

Why buy a new knob when it quicker it use 10mm of copper pipe and a few cm of tape

Elliot. Photo sent.

Post edited at 09:59
 Rick Graham 20 Jan 2019
In reply to marsbar:

I think its brilliant how folk fix things with whatevers available.

I usually manage with old climbing gear and stuff out of building site skips.

Cocktail sticks are not my style, ask the mrs.

Snyggapa 20 Jan 2019

2 part epoxy - araldite. Blue araldite by preference, not the red 'sets in an hour' one.

You will however never get it off if the joint it clean. This is both a blessing and a curse. A curse if you need to remove it to fix the shower for another problem...

marsbar 20 Jan 2019
In reply to Snyggapa:

That's why I would use a piece of wood, it will jam it enough to use but it will come off if needed.  

wercat 20 Jan 2019

Polymorph is a wonderful repair/refabrication/prototyping material material, but only if the item needed does not get near 60 degrees C.

It is very strong too, and easily moulded/remoulded by hand as well as being a good electrical insulator.

https://www.gyroscope.com/d.asp?product=POLYMORPH

Sugru

nniff 20 Jan 2019

If there is an element that you can bind with strong polyester or nylon thread, then coat it in araldite and then bind it tight with the thread.  Use button thread or something even heavier- but not pure cotton

The thread will give it some structural integrity to cope with the forces that will otherwise prize it apart.  We have quite a few things held together in this way.

jkarran 20 Jan 2019

If I've understood the dial is an interference fit on a round spindle, the socket part of the dial has cracked reducing the grip on the spindle?

You could glue the knob onto the spindle together but it'll be a pain if it needs future maintenance. Superglue or araldite would probably work ok.

I'd stop the crack opening any more, ideally close it up some by pushing a collar onto the broken bit or binding with locking wire or bind with thread soaked in superglue, whatever you have to hand that will close the crack and fit the space available. A wrap of selotape on the spindle should take up the gap the crack has opened up so the fit together snugly.

Spare parts might be easily available.

jk

wercat 20 Jan 2019
In reply to jkarran:

or adhesive aluminium tape for strength?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...