Bernie's Ingleton to reopen

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lankyman 02 Jan 2024
In reply to Mikem:

I liked Bernie's but it was the Fountains that furred most of my pre-trip arteries. 'Breakfast with beans', please. An effective way of soaking up the excess of Saturday night.

In reply to Lankyman:

Which is the cafe that had the big wood burning stove in it?

Lankyman 02 Jan 2024
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

> Which is the cafe that had the big wood burning stove in it?

Not sure. I stopped being an active caver about twenty years ago and don't recall a wood burner. Perhaps it was Bernie's in the nineties? The only other Ingleton café I used to (occasionally) visit was the Country Kitchen (?) which was also on the Main Street between the Fountains and Bernie's, on the opposite side.

ExiledScot 02 Jan 2024

Bernies was/is a couple of doors up from Inglesport. Ground floor cafe and small caving shop. 

Lankyman 02 Jan 2024
In reply to ExiledScot:

> Ground floor cafe and small caving shop. 

Other way round IIRC? At least it was the last time I was in there a few years ago after a walk up Ingleborough. When Steve Round (of Bernie's) started selling gear (in the eighties I think) Alan Steele opened up a café upstairs in Inglsport. Margaret Thatcher would have approved!

blackcat 02 Jan 2024

Our go to cafe when in ingleton was curlew crafts in the early 2000s  the food was always top notch and local produce,the choc cake and cream was the best id ever had surrounded by works of art by local artists,but then it changed hands and although the new owners were great the food went downhill.

Enty 02 Jan 2024
In reply to Mikem:

A post-it note on the notice board in Bernie's in 1996 literally changed my whole life.

E

Lankyman 02 Jan 2024
In reply to Enty:

> A post-it note on the notice board in Bernie's in 1996 literally changed my whole life.

So you got into modelling latex as well?

JMarkW 03 Jan 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

Do u remember the sticky patchwork carpet in Fountains?

Phil1919 03 Jan 2024
In reply to JMarkW:

Ah yes, I remember fountains cafe now......yes, the carpet. Good fun there......I don't think it would cut the mark now : )

Lankyman 03 Jan 2024
In reply to JMarkW:

> Do u remember the sticky patchwork carpet in Fountains?

My standout memories of the Fountains are queuing outside before opening time and the 'variable' quality of the bacon. Sometimes it was hard to tell the difference between it and the plate. Overall though a good breakfast and just what you needed for a day underground. It was a sad day when the ladies shut up shop.

JMarkW 03 Jan 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

After a week of winter caving and long nights at the helwith bridge as a student out last day of caving was breakfast at fountains at 4pm followed by looking for the entrance to black shiver and actually getting back out in the daylight.....

John Gresty 03 Jan 2024
In reply to JMarkW:

I am old enough to remember Bernie himself.

John

Lankyman 03 Jan 2024
In reply to John Gresty:

> I am old enough to remember Bernie himself.

Not sure if he was around when I first started visiting (1976). I think his son ran it for a bit and then Steve Round began his long tenure.

Lankyman 03 Jan 2024
In reply to JMarkW:

> After a week of winter caving and long nights at the helwith bridge as a student out last day of caving was breakfast at fountains at 4pm followed by looking for the entrance to black shiver and actually getting back out in the daylight.....

I only ever went in the Fountains in the morning when it was the haunt of cavers. Passing by in the afternoon it always seemed like the clientele changed totally to a much more genteel variety, the sort of elderly couple out for a Sunday drive in the Rover followed by tea and cake. I often wondered what they'd think if they turned up a few hours earlier.

Phil1919 03 Jan 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

Yes. Turquoise/blue dominated the carpet. Lots of tea for your money.

Phil1919 03 Jan 2024
In reply to JMarkW:

What, the next morning?

CantClimbTom 05 Jan 2024
In reply to Mikem:

Not due to open until March.. so sorry you'll have to stay hungry a while longer. The timing is good though, March is when most New Years resolutions will have been forgotten, so fry ups back on the menu for a lot of people 🤣

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...