Behind the scenes - Coronavirus decisions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bob Kemp 21 Mar 2020

I don’t know how authoritative this piece is - a lot of unattributed sources - but it is very interesting, and more than a little disturbing:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/alexwickham/10-days-that-changed-britains-coronavi...

wercat 21 Mar 2020
In reply to Bob Kemp:

if we had any sense Cummings head would have been on a spike by now.

Shame that the govt did not read the UKC thread about comparisons with Italy on 10th March where they could have got better advice than the unaccountable and unelected Dictator-Commisar ScummingsMy wife listening to German radio and from people in Germany is hearing that our tactics then were looked at in amazement there (her sister is a longtime nurse in Bavaria)

Post edited at 19:01
 wintertree 21 Mar 2020
In reply to wercat:

> if we had any sense Cummings head would have been on a spike by now

Did you read his blog on rebuilding the civil service in his data driven image?  Link below.  Reading it back in January and considering his position in government nearly pushed me over the brink of despair. 

> Shame that the govt did not read the UKC thread about comparisons with Italy on 10th March where they could have got better advice than the unaccountable and unelected Dictator-Commisar Scummings

What do us, a bunch of “armchair experts” know?  For that matter, what did the rest of Europe, China, Singapore, Taiwan and Japan know?  Trust our government, they know what they’re doing.

As I said elsewhere on UKC my long fragile trust in our government has now completely jumped the shark and I’m not sure I’ll ever recover it.  

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/dominiccummings.com/2020/01/02/two-hands-are...

wercat 21 Mar 2020
In reply to wintertree:

christ, what a load of dangerous trash in that link!

Neil Williams 21 Mar 2020
In reply to Bob Kemp:

The actual evidence used by the Government so far is published here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/groups/scientific-advisory-group-for-emergenc...

OP Bob Kemp 21 Mar 2020
In reply to Neil Williams:

That's really interesting. It would help if the government followed the guidance of their experts a little more carefully - I noticed this recommendation in the doc "SPI-B return on risk of public disorder":

"SPI-B recommends that, in order to limit the risk of public disorder, Government should:

Provide clear and transparent reasons for different strategies"

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/...

Neil Williams 21 Mar 2020
In reply to Bob Kemp:

Yes, I did note that and also something in one of those other links saying they should set out the plan rather than springing it on us in a daily conference.  Both of which I certainly agree with.

OP Bob Kemp 21 Mar 2020
In reply to Neil Williams:

Yes, if you look through those docs it seems that our experts are coming up with some sensible ideas, even if they aren't all always agreeing with each other. Hope the government makes the best use of them. 

RomTheBear 22 Mar 2020
In reply to wintertree:

My god. This is scary. This confirms my suspicion  that Cummings is basically completely infatuated with all the pseudo science bullshit fads of our generation.

Post edited at 01:20
 wintertree 22 Mar 2020
In reply to RomTheBear:

You know it’s bad when we agree on something.  Cummings has very much fallen for the emperor’s new clothes.

wercat 22 Mar 2020
In reply to wintertree:

I ask again, "by what right" does he rule us?

He needs removing quickly by fair means or foul

A clear and present danger, expressed as a Clancyism, to our national interest and social cohesion

Post edited at 09:40
 Neil Williams 22 Mar 2020
In reply to wercat:

Who's Cummings ruling?  It appears to me that it's coming straight from Chris Witty to Bojo.  He can witter on all he likes but I don't think anyone is listening.

In reply to Bob Kemp:

"This is going to get much, much worse, very quickly, both in terms of deaths and the economy,”

Things are already worse everywhere in the world. The economy is already shaking. And people are losing jobs. This is a very critical situation. And I don't know how China is recovering from the scenario so fast?

Where a country like Italy is suffering badly to fight with the coronavirus.

Neil Williams 22 Mar 2020
In reply to holmesstephaniie:

Because China has a command-and-control-ish economy.  It's easier to restart things when what the Government says goes, regardless of any outside factors.

JohnBson 22 Mar 2020
In reply to wercat:

Sounds like you're a sensible well balanced individual. We need more people like you at times of crisis. Oh wait you're just a racing tw*t. I bet you're hoarding bogroll because you'll need loads to wipe the shit off the shit that explodes from your mouth and fingertips when you enter your apoplectic rage. 

JohnBson 22 Mar 2020
In reply to RomTheBear:

Confirmation bias. 

wintertree 22 Mar 2020
In reply to JohnBson:

The coronavirus is no excuse to start being a total arse to other posters.  Why does criticism of Cummings send you in to quite such an unpleasant rage?

RomTheBear 22 Mar 2020
In reply to JohnBson:

> Confirmation bias. 

Well no actually I have very good reasons to think that because it's there plain and simple in articles written by himself.

MonkeyPuzzle 22 Mar 2020
In reply to JohnBson:

You running a fever, treacle?

wercat 22 Mar 2020
In reply to JohnBson:

2 medium sized packs in the house, of which 1 half used.   3 persons in the house.  7 miles from nearest  supermarket.  No great stocks of food and about half a loaf of bread total.  3 tins of  beans + 1 in my camping box.   about 10 days of of thyroxine left.  Yes we are really stocked.   silly prick

comprendi.

How is you can know so little?  Is the clue in  your name?

Oh and less than a full jar of coffee, Hippocrit.  Are you posting from a camper van in the higlands or just an ordinary 2nd home?

Post edited at 18:04
 wercat 23 Mar 2020
In reply to Bob Kemp:

I really must apologise for my outburst last night.   To the Thread and Dear PlaneandSimple.

I should simply and politely have asked him to provide examples and justification (and of course credentials).

Removed User 23 Mar 2020
In reply to Bob Kemp:

Thought this thread was going to be about clinical decisions. But hay-ho never mind. The kids are just scrapping in the playground.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...