Bard on TPS

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bouldery bits 21 Mar 2023

Question: What grade is Three Pebble Slab?

Response:

Three Pebble Slab is graded HVS 5a on UKClimbing, but opinions vary on whether it is more accurately graded E1. The route is a classic gritstone slab climb with a steep wall below the slab and a large pocket. The crux of the route is the move above the only two pieces of gear, which is a significant Elvis leg whilst trying to smear a pebble.

Some climbers find the route to be E1 due to the run out nature of the climb and the fact that the crux move is not well protected. Others find it to be HVS 5a due to the fact that the climb is well-graded and the crux move is not too difficult.

Ultimately, the grade of Three Pebble Slab is a matter of personal opinion.

In reply to bouldery bits:

Rubbish. Any fule no it's E0.

Offwidth 21 Mar 2023

Same obvious AI bullshit as ChatGPT. What pebble? Wtf does 'well graded' mean? The E0 crux is bold sustained 4c slab.

I suspect intelligent non climbers could do better on average and they wouldn't need to steal phenominal volumes of data nor burn all that server energy to do it.

Post edited at 21:44
 balmybaldwin 21 Mar 2023

Chat GPT thinks it's considerably harder:

The Peak District's Three Pebble Slab is a rock climbing route located on the Raven Tor crag. It is graded as 8a+ on the French grading system or 5.13c on the Yosemite Decimal System (YDS), which indicates it is a very difficult climb suitable for only experienced and highly skilled climbers.

Tony Buckley 21 Mar 2023

I asked Bard to describe the use of the 11/8 time signature in Canterbury scene music.

If Bard was a car repair shop, then what I got was a cut and shut, I hope you can't see the join between two Wikipedia entries.  It would have been more informative, and considerably more amusing, to have asked what you did.

The subsequent question was about the effect of the thermocline in the oligotrophic lakes in Cumbria.  This was even less impressive.

I have provided feedback.  Surprisingly polite, considering.

T.

nastyned 21 Mar 2023
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Excellent, my lead grade's just shot up!

In reply to captain paranoia:

> Rubbish. Any fule no it's E0.

….that would be V0

yorkshireman 22 Mar 2023
In reply to Tony Buckley:

> I have provided feedback.  Surprisingly polite, considering.

Genuine question but why wouldn't your feedback be polite? A private company has provided a service for free that you're not obliged to use. Getting angry about it being imperfect (when it's being tested so by definition isn't) seems an odd attitude but I see it a lot in the rants about the output of Bard and ChatGPT

Brass Nipples 22 Mar 2023

Did it really mention uk climbing without any prompting?

Tony Buckley 22 Mar 2023
In reply to yorkshireman:

> Genuine question but why wouldn't your feedback be polite? 

I fear that my attempt to raise a wry smile has eluded you.  My feedback was specific, pointed out what was good and what wasn't and identifed ways in which improvements were needed not just in what was presented but in how it should be presented.  

And polite, of course.

T.

In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

> that would be V0

No, it wouldn't...

OP bouldery bits 22 Mar 2023
In reply to Brass Nipples:

> Did it really mention uk climbing without any prompting?

It genuinely did!

I wonder if it's linked to tracing my own  web use in some way?

Andypeak 22 Mar 2023

I've always thought it HVS 4c

deepsoup 22 Mar 2023
In reply to Brass Nipples:

> Did it really mention uk climbing without any prompting?

I'm not at all surprised by that - if you Google all sorts of climbing related topics, UKC will be at or near the top of the results.

Removed User 22 Mar 2023

> Ultimately, the grade of Three Pebble Slab is a matter of personal opinion.

Bollorks - The grade is E0. The uncertainty associated with the measurement of the grade is a matter of personal experience however.

gethin_allen 22 Mar 2023
In reply to Removed User:

Knowing that it is reading UKC, could we break it with a meta thread about bard and TPS. Get it going around in circles until it just can't take it any more.

In reply to captain paranoia:

> > that would be V0

> No, it wouldn't...

ok V0+ 😂

Ian Parsons 23 Mar 2023

Is this Dale Bard we're talking about? I often wonder what he's done on grit.

Post edited at 11:00

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...