Aurora Alert

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dan Arkle 25 Nov 2023

Currently a red alert. 

The Northern lights could be visible from anywhere in the UK right now. 

Lankyman 25 Nov 2023
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Too much thin cloud around here. Quite a nice bow around the almost full moon.

MG 25 Nov 2023
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Could be... I'm sitting in the dark in a layby north on Inverness. Bright moon.....

Michael Hood 25 Nov 2023
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Thanks for the post, could you now do something about the cloud please ☹️

Mike Peacock 25 Nov 2023
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Looks like Bz is going to head north again soon...that will sadly calm things down. My northern sky is cloudy, but there's a pretty impressive halo round the moon in the other direction.

wintertree 25 Nov 2023
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Visible by iPhone 15 in country Durham at present - a green band from about 15 deg to 25 deg above the horizon with occasional transient vertical structures and a brief appearance of a red pillar.

In my 40s I can’t see a thing by eye.   Wintertree Jr walked out of the door into the light pollution and said “I see a green line” the bugger.

Post edited at 19:27

Ian W 25 Nov 2023
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Some decent, if transient, displays on the northumberland coast (Bamburgh). Those "in the know" around here reckon it will get better later on if the cloud stays away. Not expected to be as good as a couple of weeks ago, when it was bloody spectacular up here.

Michael Hood 25 Nov 2023
In reply to wintertree:

Interesting, what factor in your and junior's eyesight makes the difference between seeing and not seeing?

Better visual acuity (do you need glasses or better prescription or would that still not be enough), or better colour differentiation?

And, does the critical factor inevitably occur with age (as in are we all stuffed to have a more difficult time seeing aurora) 😕

Darron 25 Nov 2023
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Moon and Jupiter have been spectacular for a day or two. Was looking for the ISS tonight (actually hoping to see the bag of tools they dropped last week!) ISS flew in between Moon and Jupiter (and 4 Jovian moons). Really was fantastic.

wintertree 25 Nov 2023
In reply to Michael Hood:

> Interesting, what factor in your and junior's eyesight makes the difference between seeing and not seeing?

Having made a lifelong study of the aging process I can only conclude that it sucks.

I don’t know a serious answer to your question but it’s a good excuse to go reading.  A quick google produced figure 1 in this paper which suggests aging does indeed suck for vision - https://www.researchgate.net/publication/38025561_Chromatic-Spatial_Vision_...

Michael Hood 25 Nov 2023
In reply to wintertree:

Looks like it's visual acuity and we're all stuffed ☹️

I have a memory of as a youngster (I'm guessing when I was a young teenager) having seen the Galilean moons with the naked eye, but after all this time I cannot remember any details so I do now wonder whether it's actually a false memory.

Edit: just read up on this a bit and naked eye sightings are reported quite a bit especially for youngsters so maybe it is a genuine memory.

Post edited at 22:32
 Bobling 25 Nov 2023
In reply to Darron:

Venus was very bright this morning too - clearly visible just after six when dawn was breaking.

Darron 25 Nov 2023
In reply to Bobling:

You’re right. At my age visits to the loo at 4.30am are normal. Up side of which is great views of Venus. About the same brightness as Jupiter in the evening I would say. The ‘morning star’.

Bottom Clinger 26 Nov 2023
In reply to Dan Arkle:

I’m heading out now, slightly tipsy, but armed with camera.    And I’ll blame you if I see nowt. 

In reply to Darron:

> You’re right. At my age visits to the loo at 4.30am are normal. Up side of which is great views of Venus.

I think you’ll  find it’s Uranus  

In reply to Bottom Clinger:

Nice moon and clouds,  but the late night bus to Anstruther was great !

Post edited at 00:51

Darron 26 Nov 2023

I see what you did there. 😂In reply to Bottom Clinger:

OP Dan Arkle 01 Dec 2023
In reply to all

Another red alert is currently in place - and a bit less cloud where I am. 

Brass Nipples 01 Dec 2023
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Thick Fog here, won’t be seeing anything.

girlymonkey 01 Dec 2023
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Cloudy here, sadly

wintertree 01 Dec 2023
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Clear skies here in north east england, but there’s massive sky glow to the north that would probably wash out a mild aurora.  I think it’s back-scattered moonlight from a very light fog, perhaps enhanced by reflections off the snow cover.  A very boosted photo has some red and green in it but noting great.

Post edited at 23:41

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...