Any firefighters?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 cm1234 18 Dec 2023

Are there many wholetime firefighters around here? What's your experience of your chosen career's compatibility with climbing? What kind of climbing do you do? Have you travelled much?

I'm currently a little bit through the wholetime firefighter application process as a possible/hopeful career shift (far from guaranteed, still a ways to go) and I'm really curious about whether there are many in the service who manage to do much climbing. Looking in, it strikes me that certain shift patterns may allow for some decent days out/short trips. Is it the case, or are you often too wrecked to do much else but rest up?

To be clear, this is certainly not my principal reason for applying. Just curious, as I say... and I guess a little hopeful!

Jordan-L 18 Dec 2023
In reply to cm1234:

The shifts for firefighters in the Scottish fire service are 2 days, followed by 2 nights, then 4 days off, then every 6 weeks you get 18 days off (this is your annual leave). It's also one of the only jobs you get to sleep on your night shifts, if there's no shouts of course. 

I think one of the fire services in England do 2 day, 2 nights then 6 (or maybe 8) days off, but you don't get the 18 off. 

So either way you'd have plenty time to climb.

Post edited at 13:54
 Andypeak 18 Dec 2023
In reply to cm1234:

Currently with Notts fire service. We work 2 days, 2 night 4 off and all shifts are 12 hours. Even if you have a horrible set of nights you are usually fine by second rest day which give you 3 days to get out climbing. I also sometimes get out between days and nights when you have 24 hours off. If I book 4 days leave I get 12 days off. In conclusion I get loads of time to get out. 

The first 2 years are quite tough though as you are in your probation and have to do quite a lot of extra work. 

Enty 18 Dec 2023
In reply to cm1234:

I've quite a few mates who are full time fire fighters and looking at their work/life balance, in terms of how much time they spend mountain biking/road cycling/climbing/canoeing/doing nice things abroad, being a firefighter seems to be one of the best careers you could ever choose.

Even though every single one of them will tell you the complete opposite

E

In reply to cm1234:

Many healthcare professionals work compressed hours which can free up more days off. That's assuming you've not completely crushed by overwork.

Working the beginning of one week and the end of the next effectively gives you a week off. Also if you're smart with shift patterns a week's annual leave can result in nearly two and a half weeks off. 

stone elworthy 18 Dec 2023
In reply to cm1234:

I think I heard that someone who's leading the way in getting through this tick list is a full-time firefighter https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/ticklists/uk_8a_and_up-1235 

I guess that indicates it's compatible with plenty of climbing.

Jenny C 18 Dec 2023
In reply to Andypeak:

I have a friend who works this shift pattern, although in an emergency callcentre so not physical work.

He loves it, gets a half day to himself on his changeover day and after the second night shift, then still gets a three day 'weekend'. It's an 8-day rota, so shifts forward one day each week, which means having a regular climbing day would be awkward and obviously you also need mates who are available to climb when you're off.

OP cm1234 18 Dec 2023
In reply to stone elworthy:

Wow.. firefighter or not, I'll be seriously impressed by anyone working their way through that who isn't a full-time climber...

OP cm1234 18 Dec 2023
In reply to Andypeak:

Not going to lie, this sounds excellent

Andypeak 18 Dec 2023
In reply to cm1234:

The job is amazing and the shift pattern gives you loads of free time. I don't think I'd be getting out half as much if I was still in my old job with having 2 kids

Mick53 18 Dec 2023
In reply to cm1234:

I’m retired now but served for over 30 years in London. It’s a fantastic career and the shift pattern is great for a work/life balance.

In London the shift pattern is 2 days, followed by 2 nights, then 4 off. So if you take 4 days leave (one full shift) you get 12 days off, although you’ll be coming off nights on the first day.
You get 2 weeks ‘summer’ annual leave, 1 weeks ‘winter’ annual leave and various extra days including Extra Annual Leave, PH days, ACAS and LSL (long service leave). This amounts to around an extra 12 days or so if I remember correctly.

if you tag these leave days on the start or end of your shift it gives you plenty of time to get out and about. ( if the watch leave allocation allows of course).

hope this helps

nufkin 18 Dec 2023
In reply to cm1234:

>  are you often too wrecked to do much else but rest up?

Anecdotally, a fair few of the firefighters I know regularly spend quite a chunk of each tour resting up...

More seriously, and just to drop in a few contrasting negatives to consider, unpredictable night shifts (ie sleep on some, crazy busy on others) can be problematic for the body in the long term, likewise the exposure to smoke and chemical cocktails. And getting un/lucky with the watch assignment also seems to have a significant impact on job satisfaction

seanhendo123 20 Dec 2023
In reply to Jordan-L:

It’s a 10week rotation so 18day leave lands every ~7.5weeks (still good)….you also have hours you owe the service each year as the normal pattern doesn’t cover enough, the exact figure changes each yr depending on shifts worked

In reply to cm1234:

It's an excellent job for getting time to go climbing but the majority of Firefighters in Surrey have to work a 2nd job as the pay isn't great. I spend a lot of time gardening and not climbing to make ends meet. Without the 2nd job, there would be loads of time!

And due to cuts and less fire engines around there are a lot more night shouts so it's a lot more tiring! Still a great job though. 

OP cm1234 21 Dec 2023
In reply to Graham Westbrook:

That's good to keep in mind, thanks. I got the impression that this is very much the case in the US from reading things online but didn't know how prevalent in UK services.

OP cm1234 21 Dec 2023
In reply to cm1234

Informative insights, thanks folks!

In reply to Jordan-L:

West Sussex do 2 days, 2 nights, 6 off (no annual leave) 

So longer holidays require lots of exchange duties. I like to choose when I have my AL!

jamiejet 24 Dec 2023
In reply to Graham Westbrook:

How did the union agree that??

Andypeak 24 Dec 2023
In reply to cm1234:

What area you applying for?

OP cm1234 24 Dec 2023
In reply to Andypeak:

Northern Ireland. As I said in my original post, I'm not too far through the application process at this stage. And I know it's super competitive. But it's been great to read some of these replies. Also interesting the extent to which things seem to differ between stations/brigades across the UK.

In reply to jamiejet:

Good question! Not sure! But apparently those that have a 2nd job enjoy it as they have loads of time for it! 

Surrey changed some of their crewing patterns a few years ago - many were forced to work days only etc (no nights). The Union were powerless. The changes/cuts happened and there was nothing anyone could do to stop it. As a result many have left to neighbouring brigades and the service is still picking up the pieces. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...