Antenna power overload detected...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DR 20 Dec 2023

... is the message I get on my TV since moving it about a metre to accommodate my Christmas tree, and then moving it back again. Something to do with the Freesat box but not sure what and as far as I am aware the antenna outside hasn't moved at all. Any advice to avoid calling out a TV workie greatly appreciated.

Ta,

Davie

David Barlow 20 Dec 2023
In reply to DR:

Switch off your Christmas tree lights?

OP DR 20 Dec 2023
In reply to David Barlow:

Ha, tried that, didn't work...

Hooo 20 Dec 2023
In reply to DR:

Could be a damaged cable termination that is now shorting out since the move.

Unplug and check each end for damage. Wiggle the ends about and see if the fault goes away.

hokkyokusei 20 Dec 2023
In reply to Hooo:

Sounds likely. Freesat boxes often have a feature to send a DC voltage up the cable to a signal amplifier. If the signal amplifier is missing, the box effectively sees a short at the antenna and will display a message such as this.

An actual short in the cable would create the same issue.

Alternatively, perhaps a signal booster was inadvertently removed during the temporary relocation of the Freesat box?

In reply to hokkyokusei:

> Freesat boxes often have a feature to send a DC voltage up the cable to a signal amplifier.

If there's a 'phantom power' to drive an LNA, it will be from the Freesat box to the antenna. The TV itself is unlikely to have one, unless it also has a Freesat receiver. Presumably, the Freesat receiver is connected to TV via HDMI.

So we need to determine where the message is coming from; does it only appear when the TV is displaying the Freesat signal via HDMI, or does it appear when the TV is using its internal, terrestrial RF receiver? I would not expect the TV to display any messages unless displaying the Freesat source.

OP DR 21 Dec 2023
In reply to captain paranoia:

Thanks all. Will check connections but yes, message is only displayed when TV displays Freesat signal and yes it is HDMI. 

Don't know what an LNA is and I don't think I have a signal booster.

Cheers

Davie

MarkAstley 21 Dec 2023
In reply to DR:

LNA = low noise amplifier, it sits at the end of the 'arm' out from the dish and amplifies the very small SHF signals for transmission down the cable to the decoder box. 

It requires power and this is  small DC voltage sent up the signal cable from the decoder box.

Mark

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...