Magazine article on walks based near Cluanie Inn

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 yorkshire_lad2 03 Mar 2020

I read an article recently (in the last 6 months) in one of the walking magazines (tgo or Trail) giving walks in the area of the Cluanie Inn (the one on the A87 near Shiel Bridge), including the Kintail sisters ridge etc and noting the hospitality at the Inn.  I've been trying to find the article, but can't for the life of me find it.  I might be completely mistaken, and loosing my marbles, and I've looked through the most recent 6 editions of both magazines but I cannot find it.  Can anyone recall such an article and point me in the right direction? (Still using print edition of tgo & Trail; don't have electronic edition)

TIA

Post edited at 10:04
 colinakmc 03 Mar 2020
In reply to yorkshire_lad2:

Sorry, can’t help you with the magazine article but if you want hillwalking (Munro?) information on that area (or any other part of Scotland then either the SMC guide to the Munros (cost about the same as 3 trails and it’ll last you a lifetime) or Cameron McNeish’s book, also called the Munros and to be found for a tenner last time I saw it - either will get you started.

Alternatively the Walkhighlands website.

The Cluanie Inn was great but it’s just had a £multimillion makeover so probly now very expensive - it was still shut last time I was up there.

ScraggyGoat 03 Mar 2020
In reply to colinakmc:

Clunie carpark is not open at the moment (chained up), plus they now restrict access to Hotel patrons only, which I can entirely understand in High season. However since they appear now not to want walkers parking up in low season, in the hope you will drop in after your walk ( I always did), they won't get any of my trade in any season.......though in my view their welcome to general walkers as opposed to those staying with them has been going down hill for a while now.  Hopefully it will improve post refurb, be interested to hear peoples comments over the year.

Didn't notice if the hotel was actually open.

Buy the SMC guide, rather than CMc's offering, a) it's better, b) the profit goes back into the SMC guide book series and c) CMc's Munro's borrows heavily (allegedly) from the  SMC guide ....

Post edited at 11:16
 colinakmc 03 Mar 2020
In reply to ScraggyGoat:

Thanks for the update....not many promising signs there, are there? 

Siward 03 Mar 2020
In reply to colinakmc:

I was up there a couple of weeks ago- the new owners were visiting (a succession of white Range Rovers) and there was some 'big marketing meeting' going on.

It's this bunch: https://blacksheephotels.com/about-us/ who now own ot.

It's a shame it ain't the old Cluanie any more. I recall the time they lent us some whisky glasses to use whilst camping along the road.

mav 03 Mar 2020
In reply to Siward:

I hadn't realised it had changed hands. A shame. The back bar was always a good place to gather. I find it hard to believe they are trying to prevent people parking up, it feels like driving away business. The first time I did the Aonaoch Eagach we parked at the far end and walked along; then while I ran back to the car, the rest of the party had a pint (telling me to take my time). How many people do the same?

Lankyman 03 Mar 2020
In reply to mav:

> . The first time I did the Aonaoch Eagach we parked at the far end

Aren't you confusing the Cluanie with the Clachaig?

icehockeyhair 04 Mar 2020
In reply to colinakmc:

We stopped by at the refurbished Cluanie after a couple of nights in Glen Elg last November to get some food before the long drive down back the road. I really can't say anything to recommend it. Food was trying too hard and tasting rubbish. Fish and chips was replaced with various bits of fish, squid and prawns served with undercooked potato wedges and some peas. I suppose the tea was ok though. Did not make a return visit after coming off the Forcan ridge this January

In reply to icehockeyhair:

Climbers and hillwalkers are no longer the market. They are upgrading to get the new Far East tourists in who spend more. Same happened to Kylesku Inn. Tourist boom in the highlands. 

ScraggyGoat 06 Mar 2020
In reply to yorkshire_lad2:

Car park and Inn appeared to be open yesterday.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...