Looking for Group accomodation reccomendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Cjkelly83 17 Apr 2019

I am looking at a trip with some colleagues to go walking in May/June and would like recommendations for accomodation to suit a group of ~6 people.

In the past we have camped (still a bit cold for some) or stayed at the Lazy Duck Hostel or Glenmore lodge Chalet in Aviemore area.

This time we are looking to walk somewhere different, thinking North West staying around strathpeffer area or Tayside (we are all based in Aberdeen so the location would need to be max 3 or 4hr drive from Aberdeen)

We are looking for:

reasonable price

accomodation for 6 people (in 6 beds - this is the biggest issue)

Somewhere that would be private for us (i.e. not a hostel)

Look forward to any reccomendations

StuDoig 17 Apr 2019
In reply to Cjkelly83:

If your an Mountaineering Scotland member - have a look at their club huts directory as a lot can be booked as individual members.  The Smiddy in Dundonnell would suit your group well for example as would Naismith or Ling huts.  

Ceildhi place has a bunk house in Ullapool, but no kitchen facilities unfortunately.

Torridon youth hostel is to be recommended, and will normally allow you to book a dorm room for your group.

Caving hut in Elphin - also very good.

There are cabins you can rent near to Reiff (possibly via An Fuaran pub?) also which are well situated.

Unfortunately most of my trips are via climbing club (Aberdeen MC incidentally) or camping / camper vanning so not much personal experience of other bunkhouses.

Cheers,

Stu

OP Cjkelly83 17 Apr 2019
In reply to StuDoig:

Thanks Stu for the recommendations. I am a member of Mountaineering Scotland and have used various huts a few times. Unfortunately a couple of the people going wouldn't be happy and are keen on having a bit of private space.

There are a plethora of log cabins and houses that are big enough unfortunately they all have double beds instead of singles so no good for us.

Tringa 18 Apr 2019
In reply to Cjkelly83:

I can't suggest any specific accommodation as the requirements of your group are very specific. The only thoughts are to hire a place with six bedrooms so each person can have their own and ignore that there will be some rooms with double beds. Unfortunately this is going to be expensive. Alternatively, you might be lucky and find two smaller properties close together.

Dave

Pbob 18 Apr 2019
In reply to Cjkelly83:

There's a nice little bunkhouse in Lochearnhead. Well equipped and friendly owner. Can't remember the name, Sorry.

StuDoig 19 Apr 2019
In reply to Cjkelly83:

ah fussy buggers!  I'd book somewhere you fancy then and let them sleep in their cars. 

Theres the converted railway car near to glen finnan?  From memory that has several 2 person rooms with single bunks.  Might be enough if not all 6 folk are desperate for their own room!

Cheers!

Stu

lpretro1 25 Apr 2019
In reply to Cjkelly83:

Hire a cottage for the week?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...