Yorkshire Wolds Way - August Bank Holiday

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 waterfall 24 Jul 2023

Hello everyone,

This bank holiday I am going to try attempt to fast pack the Yorkshire Wolds Way in two days, so approx 40 miles each day.  Mixture of running and fast hiking.  I have some accommodation at the half way mark and the end.  I will have a 20 litres light pack on and my kit.

Has anyone walked it that give me any tips?  I am particularly interested in the below:

• Water points (hoping for at least something every 10 miles or so)
  • Food points (again hoping for at least something every 10 miles or so, even if just a shop for a refuel)
  • How much livestock, cows in particular 
  • How many villages etc along the way
  • How well sign posted it is

Thanks,
Adam.

Qwertilot 24 Jul 2023
In reply to waterfall:

Check the food and water very carefully - from my memory shops/pubs are much, much rarer than you would imagine and you'll need to carry rather more than that.

iirc I got surprised, very low on food and was slightly saved by the shop at Fridaythorpe filling station. Still seems to exist.

Apart from that obviously Market Weighton and Pocklington if you divert to there. 

Pub in Thixendale, quite possibly nothing from there through to Filey unless you divert off Heslington brow.

Otherwise it's really suitable for this sort of thing. Nice tracks, a few cows in dale bottoms but not bad and so on.

Very pleasing scenery too, although I still can't quite understand why they didn't include Flamborough head!

Ardo 25 Jul 2023
In reply to waterfall:

Water and food points can be difficult as villages vary in size and closeness to the trail, though doing it over 2 days should mitigate this.

I don't recall any livestock issues, nettles and horse-flies were a bigger problem.

It's pretty well sign posted in most places. The below link has some good info and also GPS routes:

https://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/en_GB/trails/yorkshire-wolds-way/route/

Bulls Crack 25 Jul 2023
In reply to waterfall:

RE Cows there was a serious incident in 2020 (involving  2 walkers - one hospitalised) that may have been on the YWWay near Huggate where it enters Horse Dale - or thereabouts. So just to be aware really! 

OP waterfall 31 Jul 2023
In reply to waterfall:

thanks everyone, i think i need to a do a little more research on shops and will ofc download the GPX route.  

I'll post back once I complete anyway in case it's useful for anyone in the future

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...