Winter comes to Torridon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

First snow on the tops  this morning

aln 27 Sep 2022
In reply to The Watch of Barrisdale:

Hailstones in Edinburgh today!

olddirtydoggy 27 Sep 2022

Mist on kinder downfall.

Ridge 27 Sep 2022
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

Sunny in Silloth

Down jacket weather in my house

Graeme G 27 Sep 2022
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

> Down jacket weather in my house

Sadly I doubt that’ll be particularly unique this winter.

In reply to Graeme G:

All too true. Torn between wanting a decent winter on the hills, vs a warm one for everyone else's sake. 

Dave Hewitt 27 Sep 2022

I'm not long back in from the eastern Ben Vorlich - with a friend who is less than a fortnight away from turning 78 and still very strong on the hill. We went up the main path and down the NW ridge, not for the first time. Views throughout - it was a better day than anticipated, dry apart from a few very brief/light spots and not too windy, although definitely blowy (and chilly) from the NW above 650m or so. We had more than half an hour at the far end of the little summit ridge, tucked into a SE-facing neuk, and it was very pleasant. Quite warm in the sun lower down. Couldn't see that much of the big southern Highland things - Ben More, Stob Binnein, the high Lawers tops - as there was cloud in those sorts of directions, but they were visible from time to time and insofar as I could tell there was no snow on them. Plenty of rainbows, and stags were to be heard and - after quite a long effort trying to pick them out - seen in the back glen below Vorlich.

Properly autumnal, as shown by me being in double, rather than single, Ronhills for the first time since the spring!

Post edited at 18:07
 J72 27 Sep 2022

Took the kids (5 and 8) up Mheall a’Bhuachaille (cairngorms) weekend passed - almost scorching when the sun came out on the ascent and unbelievably cold down to the col before creagan gorm.  Out tomorrow and I think there is little risk of needing the Suncream and shorts…

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...