Why isn’t Caw a Wainwright?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Gav Parker 18 Jun 2023

Good afternoon

Ive always wanted to walk up Caw in the Dunnerdale fells. Ive looked at it from all angles and it is a fantastic looking Fell…

What I can’t understand is why it never made Wainwrights list?

I walked it last week and its a great little peak and a proper Mountain on its own with a pointy top…just how it looks from afar…

In reply to Gav Parker:

There's lots of worthy hills missed by wainwright Caw being one of them, there's lots of unworthy ones in his list too.

Part of the peak bagging game I guess. 

It might be in his outlying fells book though? 

Lankyman 18 Jun 2023
In reply to Gav Parker:

It's in his Outlying Fells volume. I think the original Book 4 Southern Fells was already getting too big so he decided to draw a boundary at the Walna Scar track. It is a nice hill and the trig point is painted blue (although I might be confusing it with Stickle Pike).

OP Gav Parker 18 Jun 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

Yes its painted light blue…City colours!

Thanks for the reply's it is a great hill.

Dave Hewitt 18 Jun 2023
In reply to Gav Parker:

Walna Scar (the actual fell) and White Maiden are also not in the main Wainwright list, for the same reason - and both are over 2000ft, so it's sort of doubly anomalous. Walna Scar has always been above 2000ft:

http://www.hill-bagging.co.uk/mountaindetails.php?qu=S&rf=2644

White Maiden used to be just below but the database people seem to have given it a fairly recent height boost:

http://www.hill-bagging.co.uk/mountaindetails.php?qu=S&rf=2645

Nice hills/fells, anyway, as are Caw and Stickle Pike as mentioned. That long straggly southwestern bit of Cumbria is interesting (including the strange islands, Foulney etc).

Lankyman 18 Jun 2023
In reply to Dave Hewitt:

One of the grandest looking hills round there is White Pike when approaching up the Lickle. It towers over the scene like a smaller Schiehallion. It's only a shoulder of White Maiden.

gammarus 18 Jun 2023
In reply to Gav Parker:

It may not be a Wainwright, but it is a Birkett. Grand little hill.

Dave Hewitt 18 Jun 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

> One of the grandest looking hills round there is White Pike when approaching up the Lickle. It towers over the scene like a smaller Schiehallion. It's only a shoulder of White Maiden.

Agreed, nice fell. I only seem to have been on that White Pike once (there are at least two others, near Pillar and Clough Head) and it was 20 years ago (Jan 2003), but it was a good outing that I can still recall: on foot from Coniston, up the Walna Scar track then turned left to take in everything as far as Caw, and back by a low route. This is making me feel a bit wistful - am not nearly so often in Coniston these days with the better half's parents (and the base camp) having gone, but we still try and get down once a year and I'm still in the odd position of having the Old Man as my sixth most-climbed Marilyn despite never having lived within 150 miles of it.

Jimbo C 18 Jun 2023
In reply to Gav Parker:

The simple answer is because Wainwright didn't list it. Why he didn't list it can never be known. Don't let that stop you from enjoying it though, it is a fine place for a walk.

tintinandpip 18 Jun 2023
In reply to Gav Parker:

Shhh - stop telling people about my local walk ! 
ps who cares  about lists either Mr.W’s or Mr. B’s. 

Lankyman 19 Jun 2023
In reply to Gav Parker:

> Yes its painted light blue…City colours!

Just remembered that the trig on nearby Great Stickle is also painted light blue. Could be another 'treble' in there?

OP Gav Parker 20 Jun 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

Haha yes!

Godwin 21 Jun 2023
In reply to Gav Parker:

Great isn't it, I have been up from all directions and always enjoy.

You still owe me a walk 😁

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...