Weekday parking at Llyn Ogwen for Tryfan

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 StuartP 24 Jul 2020

I'm planing on a midweek day trip to Tryfan in the next few weeks and all the recent news about parking problems in Snowdonia has got me worried.

I had planned to arrive around 10am and park in one of the laybys at the foot of the north ridge. I've done this a few times in the past and never had a problem, but that was before everyone went post lockdown crazy!

How bad is the parking during the week right now?

If you've been there during the week and seen what it's like I'd really appreciate any observations.

I don't fancy having to return home because I can't get parked.

I looked at the Sherpa bus and it appears it runs from around 6am to 6pm maybe! Not ideal when sunset is around 9pm and I'd rather not take a bus in the current situation.

Thanks

Stuart.

P.S. Please don't let this descend into a general parking rant thread. I'm specifically interested in midweek (trying to avoid the crowds) and Tryfan/Ogwen (trying to avoid the bigger crowds on Snowdon). I'm happy to pay for a car park or park legally at the side of the road. Thanks!

gezebo 24 Jul 2020
In reply to StuartP:

You’ll be fine. 

Ben Callard 24 Jul 2020
In reply to StuartP:

I parked in Ogwen midweek last week, and there was loads of space. 

kaiser 24 Jul 2020
In reply to StuartP:

Hi Stuart

I was there Monday & Tuesday this week.  Fine weather was well forcasted for those 2 days which obviously makes a difference.  It's mid July too of course so the most busy time of year

Monday I got about 2.30 and was surprised to see all the parking pretty much full.  A few spaces on the roadside gravel parking area on the Tryfan Bach side but all the laybys and car parks full along the lake.  No one was parked illegally though.  Someone pulled out of one of the car parks just as I got there and so I parked there.   For comparison, I normally arrive at the same time on  Sunday (although not in July) and there's normally plenty of spaces at that time vacated by people who have gone home. So - very busy for a Monday.

Tuesday I got there about 9.30 and you could park anywhere, even by the Milestone gate.  only about 1/5 capacity full at that time I would say.  As I faffed around sorting out gear and food and bags etc for about 15 minutes only 1 other car turned up.  This was in the A5 car park nearest to Ogwen Cottage.

All the parking in Ogwen is free apart from the cottage car park itself which is £6 for the day although I've never parked there as it seems to fill up first despite the charge.

greg_may_ 24 Jul 2020
In reply to StuartP:

Parked there yesterday, Wed last week, Wed week before.  I was the only car parked up below Milestone when I left at 0900 - and the only car there when I got back at 1400. 

You'll be fine.

In reply to StuartP:

Seems quite "hit and miss". 

I was there at 11 today and all carparks pretty full, although as usual some of this is just roadside photo stops by motorists so if you wait a while a space will probably open. 

jezb1 24 Jul 2020
In reply to StuartP:

0930 today and pretty rammed except the gravel Tryfan Bach section, Monday was pretty similar.

mattck 24 Jul 2020
In reply to StuartP:

It's been pretty busy there the last couple of weeks. If the weather's good, expect it to be full early.

Maybe try and aim for 9 to play it safe(r).

OP StuartP 27 Jul 2020
In reply to StuartP:

Thanks everyone for all the replies, It appears to be a mixed picture, but definitely not a lost cause, so I'll aim to get there as early as I can and hopefully find a spot somewhere along the road.

Cheers 

Stuart

maxsmith 27 Jul 2020
In reply to StuartP:

you'll be fine, there was space throughout the day saturday and sunday 

static266 27 Jul 2020
In reply to StuartP:

The long lay-by near Tryfan Bach has been quiet most weekdays. 

Post edited at 16:42
 phizz4 27 Jul 2020
In reply to StuartP:

If you look at the Oggie Base web cam, http://ogwen-rescue.org.uk/webcams/ it has a wide angle camera with a view, on the left, of the long, narrow layby on the A5 below Little Tryfan. That will give you some idea of parking availability.

peppermill 28 Jul 2020
In reply to StuartP:

Aha am I the only one that clicked on this thinking "Yay, Aonach eagach is the best is finally getting out"

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...