Walking the Weardale Watershed

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 wintertree 16 Apr 2023

Over the last 20 years I’ve visited many points of the boundary of the Weardale watershed.  

I’ve got it in mind to do an unsupported solo walk of the watershed over a couple of days, starting in Hamsterley Forest to the south working around counter clockwise finishing around Waskerley to the north, sticking firmly to the watershed once it’s attained - that is the old boundary fence to the south and not any of the modern grouse tracks.  I’m not so clear on the western part of the northern boundary.

I think I back myself to do it in a day but I definitely wouldn’t enjoy it, so I’m thinking two days with a bivvy somewhere around Killhope.  I figure it either has to go after a period of very cold winter without snow or at the end of a very dry spell in the autumn so it’s not all bog, and to avoid ground nesting season.

Has anyone out there done this as a walk or as a fell run?  I’m very interested in your experience and advice, and particularly how you prepared yourself - mentally more so than physically.

A related question - around Hamsterley there is a “Sharnberry Flat” and a “Sharnberry Gill” - what kind of berry do the names refer to?  Bilberries, the Cloudberry which can purportedly be found in the north pennies, or some other berry?  Perhaps I’ll find one.

Post edited at 20:40

Pete Pozman 17 Apr 2023
In reply to wintertree:

Definitely cloudberries up there as well as bilberries.

Root1 18 Apr 2023
In reply to wintertree:

The bogs between Fendrith Hill and Chapelfell Top are something to behold.

jonny taylor 18 Apr 2023
In reply to wintertree:

You should chat to Blackett, I'm pretty sure he's either run it or has thought about it.

OP wintertree 19 Apr 2023
In reply to Pete Pozman:

> Definitely cloudberries up there as well as bilberries.

Presumably in the less managed side-valleys rather than the areas of muirburn? All hints for finding them are very welcome; I have searched far and wide in the Torridons and Weardale to no avail. 

In reply to Root1:

> The bogs between Fendrith Hill and Chapelfell Top are something to behold.

Indeed.  My first visit to Chapelfell Top was in the winter of 2010/2011 and it was an absolute delight.  Going back in the summer was quite the shock.  Looking at overhead images on Google Maps, it looks like that kind of hellscape of bog and hags continues well past Fendrith Hill, that's presumably the most dementedly challenging section.

In reply to jonny taylor:

Good call, thanks.  I don't see me ever running it, mind.  When you look at the pace from the two reports linked up thread of runners, it shows just how difficult it is...

In reply to Longsufferingropeholder:

> Did you find this [...]

I had seen that one, I was surprised I could only find one trip report - I'd expected it to be more popular. Maybe people just don't like to talk about it...

In reply to sam.sam.sam.ferguson:

> another report on the round 

I'd not seen that one, thanks.  Both are pretty light on helpful hints, but I suppose there's not much to say other than stick with it...

Reading both reports I realise I've been a bit slow in my OP and muddled my clockwise/counter clockwise...

Post edited at 20:28
 ablackett 19 Apr 2023
In reply to jonny taylor:

> You should chat to Blackett, I'm pretty sure he's either run it or has thought about it.

Hi Wintertree, I did something similar January last year.  Blog post is here

https://www.durhamfellrunners.org/2022/01/andys-winter-hewitts-round/

mental preparation: I'm not sure I know how to answer that.  It would be very different planning to walk it in Summer rather than run it in Winter.  When I started looking at the route I had no idea if it would be possible in Winter, as I went through the Autumn it became clear that even the boggiest bits were still passable so it 'went' as a route.  As the training progressed my fitness improved to the point that I knew I had the experience and capability to do it, then it just became a job to do.  I made a deal with myself that if it was safe to continue on the next leg I would do so, that way I wasn't going to quit at a road crossing with a warm cup of tea in my hand.  

Give me a ring if you want to talk through the specifics of any of the sections which I have run over.

OP wintertree 23 Apr 2023
In reply to ablackett:

Thanks for that and for the blog post - quite the undertaking!  Typically north pennine conditions on the track up from Daddry Shield today.  I was going to push on to the top but the clag came in so I decided to go and explore some old mining sites instead…

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...